Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
"Welcome to the Jungle"
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, who listens to tunes while riding. and what do you use to Jam with, I'm using a mini disc recorder/player. but its getting old; ready to be retired. thinking of going to mp3. any recommendations?... about a tune player not a debate about rocking and riding.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Occassionally on short solo/TT practice i will, drowns out pain towards the end and gives you something to ride to if you have the right song. Im a fan of the iPod, so thats my recommendation,id say the nano would be the best for riding i guess cos of its weight and size. But most mp3 players are all good, just get what you need and seems the right $

·
Administrator
13,146 Posts
iPod Nano 4 Gig- spiffy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use a Sandisk Sansa 2GB - Smaller than a Nano, has an arm strap, and has large buttons that are easy to push, even with full-finger gloves on. The menu system isn't quite as intuitive as the Nano, but it's significantly cheaper.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Coolhand said:
iPod Nano 4 Gig- spiffy.
Ya, I just got my Nano 4 GB just over a week ago...so far, so good (now that I've bought and downloaded the new Tool CD, even better ;) ).

Prior to my Nano, I had a Creative Labs MuVo Slim 512MB and a iRiver 1 GB, both flash based. I killed both the CL and iR and finally went with the Nano 4 GB.

I was reluctant to go iPod because of the proprietary battery (which only lasts 12-14 hrs and needs to be charged via USB). I prefer AA or AAA, for convenience and ease, etc. But, so far, the Nano has been holding-up well on the 6 x 3-hr MTB/cross rides I've done. Time will tell though if it's durable enough (I bought an aluminum case for it) and if the battery life holds.

Please keep in mind that I'm primarily a MTB'er and 'crosser, so I'm seldom on the roads with my MP3 player.

M.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Well, I have a 4 gb nano, 6gb mini, 15gb ipod, 60gb video ipod. So my advice is an ipod :D

To tell you the truth, I don't notice much difference between the 60gb ipod vs the nano when it is in the back jersey pocket. The best all around is probably the mini because of the aluminum case (it is much sturdier). I like the bigger ipods because when i'm way out there and tired, sometimes I want to hear stuff I don't have on the smaller ipods.

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,754 Posts
midnightrider said:
Hey All, who listens to tunes while riding. and what do you use to Jam with, I'm using a mini disc recorder/player. but its getting old; ready to be retired. thinking of going to mp3. any recommendations?... about a tune player not a debate about rocking and riding.
I used to use an iPod, but after a year the battery doesn't last long enough. These days I'm using an Oregon Scientific waterproof MP3 player. It goes for about 8 hours on a charger (even after a new battery my iPod mini only goes for around 1 hour on a charge) is small, light, and absolutely bombproof.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Einstruzende said:
Well, I have a 4 gb nano, 6gb mini, 15gb ipod, 60gb video ipod. So my advice is an ipod :D

To tell you the truth, I don't notice much difference between the 60gb ipod vs the nano when it is in the back jersey pocket. The best all around is probably the mini because of the aluminum case (it is much sturdier). I like the bigger ipods because when i'm way out there and tired, sometimes I want to hear stuff I don't have on the smaller ipods.
I was tempted by the larger iPods vs the Nano because of the cost per GB, but I was worried about the HD vs flash with skipping. It might not be as much of a concern the roads, but with a MTB on very rugged terrain, I can just imagine it skipping like crazy and eventually damaging the HD.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
Wow, all these posts and nobody scolding the OP for riding with headphones? This ain't mtbr toto.

I'll suggest Rios.... can be had really cheap if you're willing to get refurbished. Not a bad way to go for a first mp3.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Sorry, but I only have two senses to keep me safe...

...and Iputting one of them out of business with headphones seems like a dumb idea. I hear a lot more cars coming up behind me than I see, even with a mirror. I think I'd rather ride with one eye covered than both ears blocked.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,801 Posts
Road cyclist said:
I agree, I would rather listen to tunes after my ride.

" I don't mind being driven, I just don't want to be taken for a ride." (007)

I ride with a sansa Sandisk MP3 player, I only plug in the right ear piece though, so I can use the left ear to listen for traffic....no problems so far.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
physasst said:
I ride with a sansa Sandisk MP3 player, I only plug in the right ear piece though, so I can use the left ear to listen for traffic....no problems so far.
I plug in both ears. I just don't crank the volume up so high that I could't hear emergency vehicles and the like. Not much diff between being in a car with the stereo turned up loud and having headphones on IMO. In any event, I'm willing to take the risk when I'm in the mood for tunes.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm perfectly happy with my digital AM/FM sport radio. It's a decent one that allows you to preset your favorite stations and easlily scroll through them. It was less than $20. I like the radio morning shows on my way to work, and there's decent music to find going home.

I figured I'd try this route over a year ago and buy an mp3 if I got bored, but it's worked just fine for my commuting.

(I run volume levels low enough to hear my drivetrain whir and to acknowledge "on your left" with a little left hand wave as I hug the right side.)

·
Registered
463 Posts
JFR said:
I'm perfectly happy with my digital AM/FM sport radio. It's a decent one that allows you to preset your favorite stations and easlily scroll through them. It was less than $20. I like the radio morning shows on my way to work, and there's decent music to find going home.

I figured I'd try this route over a year ago and buy an mp3 if I got bored, but it's worked just fine for my commuting.

(I run volume levels low enough to hear my drivetrain whir and to acknowledge "on your left" with a little left hand wave as I hug the right side.)
i absolutly crank it on teh closed Forumla one track and put it in my pocket[off] as soon as i hit the MUT or the street.

·
"Welcome to the Jungle"
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Cory, I'm sorry to burst your bubble but if you think your agility and fast reflexes are going to save you from a vehicle with your name on it your only fooling yourself. I've been riding for years with jams and the only close calls I've had is from jerks who wanted to scare the goofy cyclist.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.