Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
50th today in the Route de Sud ITT that was uphill - supposedly were he should shine. You gotta think the Tour is out now. He was even beaten by 3 of his teammates.

· Registered
3,375 Posts
Mootsie said:
50th today in the Route de Sud ITT that was uphill - supposedly were he should shine. You gotta think the Tour is out now. He was even beaten by 3 of his teammates.
You mean the ones who were trying? Take at look at GC after Stage 1 and think about the implications for team strategy.

· la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
asgelle said:
You mean the ones who were trying? Take at look at GC after Stage 1 and think about the implications for team strategy.
Have you read any of his quotes? He said this is the race that he has to prove himself at. If today's result is a "motivated" effort on his part, he is in deep do do. He didn't have to beat all his teammates and screw up team strategy to show his form, but the dude didn't even come close to top 10/15 or 25.

· Registered
3,375 Posts
Mootsie said:
I am sure he's screwed unless JV knows something we don't.
And isn't that exactly the point? Vaughters may well have told him to take it easy. The team strategy isn't about racing his team mates in the TT, but conserving energy in a now meaningless stage so he's fresh to help Martin over the next two days.

· Banned
2,241 Posts
Tom was saying that he was targeting the TT ....perhaps he had a mechanical? Or maybe it is because he ____________ (Insert favorite TD excuse here)

· la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
asgelle said:
And isn't that exactly the point? Vaughters may well have told him to take it easy.
Thus handing him a spot in the Tour?

I know a little bit about JV and he's doesn't let anybody slide. I could be wrong, its been known to happen, but I just don't think we'll see TD in the Tour...and that would be dissappointing on many levels.

· Registered
320 Posts
den bakker said:
Maybe he does not have to show his form. Maybe the GC for their top rider is more relevant than ego polishing.
Maybe there is some hidden agenda, who knows. But at this point, I'd have to think that Tommy D does have to show some form. I don't think any good result that he'd be able to get is "ego polishing." It would just be showing that he is actually capable of a good result when the pressure is on to deliver. Has he shown anything recently to suggest that he is ready to deliver a quality result, or more realistically, some quality help to a GC rider in the Tour?

My bigger question is to myself about why I spend any time wondering about Tommy D's results, or lack thereof.

· Registered
12,083 Posts
kmac said:
Maybe there is some hidden agenda, who knows. But at this point, I'd have to think that Tommy D does have to show some form. I don't think any good result that he'd be able to get is "ego polishing." It would just be showing that he is actually capable of a good result when the pressure is on to deliver. Has he shown anything recently to suggest that he is ready to deliver a quality result, or more realistically, some quality help to a GC rider in the Tour?

My bigger question is to myself about why I spend any time wondering about Tommy D's results, or lack thereof.
HE has shown in the past that he can "perform" in races bigger than tour de sud so that's a non issue.
Either he has the form or he does not and that has been read off a power tap.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.