Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nice carbon road bike. I'm doing a trip across Canada this summer. It will likely be totally supported, but since I'm having a bit of difficulty with the person who says they'll support it, I need a backup.

Rather than paniers, which I may not be able to use because I don't believe my bike has holes drilled, I was thinking of a trailer.

So my questions are:

1) Does anyone have any experience trying to set up a non-touring bike for some touring?
2) Of those who said yes, any experience with carbon bikes?
3) Does anyone have experience with travelling with one of those trailer things? What brands are good, etc etc etc.

Thanks!

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
iherald said:
I have a nice carbon road bike. I'm doing a trip across Canada this summer. It will likely be totally supported, but since I'm having a bit of difficulty with the person who says they'll support it, I need a backup.

Rather than paniers, which I may not be able to use because I don't believe my bike has holes drilled, I was thinking of a trailer.

So my questions are:

1) Does anyone have any experience trying to set up a non-touring bike for some touring?
2) Of those who said yes, any experience with carbon bikes?
3) Does anyone have experience with travelling with one of those trailer things? What brands are good, etc etc etc.

Thanks!
Do a search for BOB trailers and posts by MB1. - TF

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
The trailers work fine, but are you sure you want to do that to yourself?

If I were me, I'd store the plastic bike for the summer. Take the money you were going to spend on the trailer and buy a mid-80s, middle of the line Japanese road bike setup for general getting around town. Something with plenty of eyelets for mounting racks. I'd find one that takes 27X 1/4" tires because Walmart stocks this size, and you can always find a Walmart these days, even if you are a million miles from nowhere.

A nice old touring bike would be an even better choice, one with cantilever brakes. The problem with those is that they fetch quite a premium these days. An old Specialized Expedition will cost you many hundreds of dollars, but you can pick up a nice old Fuji Del Rey or something similar for next to nothin'.

With this setup, you won't have to worry about your carbon frame getting scraped up and otherwise mangled. You can mount racks and panniers, which make your bike much easier to lug up to your hotel room than if you have a trailer. Everything will be more comfortable for the long haul. Sure, the bike will be a bit heavier, but you will more than make up for the increased weight by the decreased weight and rolling resistance in NOT having a trailer.

Besides, your touring, right?! Taking it easy... enjoying the sites. You're not trying to set any speed records; you're trying to have an enjoyable, worry-free ride. A nice, sturdy old steel bike will help you do all these things.

Then, when the tour is over, you can sell the bike for more-or-less what you paid for it. But I bet you a nickel that if you go this route, you will want to hold onto the bike after the tour. When people get back on steel road bikes after years of carbon and/or aluminum, they remember why they used to love cycling so much. Old steel tourers, commuters are just so darn comfy and fun to ride.

See:

http://www.cyclofiend.com/cc/2005/cc066-forbesbb1205.html

for pictures of the Fuji Del Rey I built up. There are photos with and without the trailer attached.

Good luck!

FBB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts