Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I described a shifting problem over the phone with my LBS mechanic; the shifting is sluggish on the rear derailleur going from the small cogs to the larger cogs.

When I asked him which way I should turn the barrel adjuster to fix this, he said counter clockwise. Of course on a clock, I know which way counter clockwise is, but I'm a little disoriented about the barrel adjuster.

When the mechanic said, "counter clockwise," does he mean when I'm behind the bike facing the handlebars? If the shifting is sluggish going from small cogs to larger cogs, do I turn the barrel adjuster inside toward the frame, or do I turn it outside away from the frame?

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
I never find "clockwise-counterclockwise" a helpful way to remember these things, becaue you can be looking from all kinds of angles. There also may be several places where these adjustments can be made (downtube adjusters, e.g., which you can manipulate while you're riding).

But I never have any trouble figuring out which way to turn them. Just remember that pulling cable moves the der toward the larger cogs, and releasing cable moves the other way. Turning an adjuster changes affects cable pull essentially by changing the length of the housing. If you make the housing longer, you pull more cable, because less cable is sticking out the end. When you back an adjuster out, you're lengthening the housing.

If you can get those concepts, it will be completely intuitive.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Viewing angle

JCavilia said:
I never find "clockwise-counterclockwise" a helpful way to remember these things, becaue you can be looking from all kinds of angles. There also may be several places where these adjustments can be made (downtube adjusters, e.g., which you can manipulate while you're riding).
So, just where can you "stand" such that clockwise and counter clockwise could be confused? You'd have to be under the bike, looking up to have them reversed. I agree that people should be able to easily understand the action of the adjusters, but you'd have to be "fairly dense" to get this wrong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
And when DieselDan means turn the barrel in the direction you want the derailleur to go, he means the top of the barrel adjuster.

Also, I find that at some point you can 'over-adjust' the barrel (even before the threads run out). At that point, best idea is to unclamp the cable and start your derailleur set up all over again.

Good luck

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
DieselDan said:
With a normal rear derailer, turn the barrel adjuster the direction you need to adjust the shifting.
Hmm. Never heard it put that way before. I like it. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.