Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are leaving for a Tuscany bike ride in two weeks. Having never done any bike travel I would appreciate any biking, gear or other tips from any seasoned bike travelers. We'll be riding with Backroads and using their bikes. I've searched "Tuscany" and "Italy" so far.

TIA for any help.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
I don't know the best way to do it, just the way we did it, which we liked alot. We were in Tuscany for 1 week. We stayed the week in an an agriturismo (an apartment on a working vineyard) called Fattoria Viticcio about 2 km outside Greve in Chianti. It was an easy walk into topwn for groceries or restaurants. You can find lots of other good accomodations at www.slowtrav.com. Greve is a good spot because it is a cross-roads, so you can ride in any direction, or drive 20 miles away to do other rides. Then pick another spot to stay for week number 2.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx Mark. We're set with accomodations since we go day to day with a new stop with Backroads. What I should have made a little more clear is we're looking for any advice on what to bring (esp any tricks or tips which may not be obvious or already listed in the packing list), etc...

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
I did a two weeker with Ciclismo a couple of years back. Bring luggage that's as small as practical. Your guides will appreciate it. Everything you pack should be quick drying and we only packed enough stuff for 3 days at a time. Backpacking or light nylon/rayon/poly clothes are best. Even our underwear was nylon. Dries very quickly. We did bring one set of fancier clothes for the fancy party we had at the end of the ride, but that was it. We washed our bike and regular clothes every other day and hung them up on portable clothes lines in the windows. Go get some of those Tide laundry soap capsule things (about the size of your thumb). You can just drop them in the tub with your clothes and hot water and let them soak for a few minutes. Then rinse out like crazy and you'll be ready to go (we normally swirled the clothes around while they soaked for five minutes or so). So, get a portable clothes line. If you have a Garmin 705 you can buy the map chip for the area, but we pretty much just wandered with the maps and got lost off and on and loved it. Honestly, I can't think of anything else that we particularly needed.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Oh yeah, I'm sure you know this but bring your own saddles and pedals. I also brought a pair of Teva sandals to throw in the little pack on the bike so we could walk around easily without our bike shoes if needed. Came in handy a few times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts