Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Especially the ads for that Brit SUV which starts with the classical music Baby Elephant Walk. It's annoying, especially when ads exploit well known music. :frown2:

If I was in the market for SUV, that ad would make me not want to look into that brand.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Not as annoying as the Aussie commentators. When they talk all I can think of are those brutal Outback Steakhouse ads.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I find the NBC Sports Fantasy Cycling giveaway to be rather funny given the top prize (Cannondale disc equipped road bike) can't be used in the Tour. Along with Giant advertising another disc equipped road bike. I know that the odds of either bike ever being ridden in something serious is slim to none but they could at least offer/advertise something that could be used in the Tour for the Walter Mitty's in all of us.

Every time the Range Rover commercial comes on (way to often imho); i can only think of the Simpsons episode where Homer is the Springfield Isotopes Mascot and dances to "Baby Elephants". Completely fails to make me want to buy an overpriced SUV.

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
Tomorrow's the last day of the Tour, ya'll won't hafta be bothered by the commercials no more.

·
Proud luddite
7,227 Posts
My wife and I finally had enough of all of the commercials and paid the $30 for the NBC Sports Gold package after the first TDF stage. They cover almost all of each stage and with no commercials at all. And you can watch it live or after the stage is over whenever you want. Best $30 we ever spent! I just wish we had done the same in years past.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Not as annoying as the Aussie commentators. When they talk all I can think of are those brutal Outback Steakhouse ads.
Actually, I respectfully disagree. Really appreciated the Aussie commentators. A refreshing change towards objective and clear and astute commentary. Better job than NBC ever did imho. Here in Canada this year we only get the SBS coverage direct from the Aussie broadcaster, thankfully.

And so many Aussies making their mark on the sport in recent years too, on and off the bike. Just sucked to see an American team scrue over the best Aussie on said team going for GC this year :(

·
Registered
239 Posts
The only way I have been able to watch it is to record and watch later. Then fast forward thru the commercials. No way I could watch live and sit thru them.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Especially the ads for that Brit SUV which starts with the classical music Baby Elephant Walk. It's annoying, especially when ads exploit well known music. :frown2:

If I was in the market for SUV, that ad would make me not want to look into that brand.
Hated that commercial too, and would never buy that Evoque as it can't fit bikes upright in the back. BUT...thanks to you I've ID'ed that damn ear worm song.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd have loved to see more commercials, if it meant I got to see more of the racing. I'm on basic cable, so all I get is what NBC shows on the basic network - an hour today, and hour or so last week and the week before.

The NBC commentary is not very enlightening. Sure, we saw a lot of bikes, but except for Froome's group and the lead 3 riders, they rarely explained what was being shown - 1st chase group, 2nd chase group, the guys who weren't keeping up (and who ride better than I can dream of).

Alas, I see too many Range Rovers on my rides - you know, flat, well-paved roads in a very affluent area, with lots of drivers who can do little more than point their cars in a direction close to where they want to go....

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts

Agreed.
Mind you, I've watched the ad a L O T. Like a lot lot. Even backing up and freeze-framing on the hottie in the leopard-print dress.
MMMmmMMMmmm.... dayum.
BUT.
Then they played the living schizzle out of the ad. EVERY G-D break! Oh, I can't stand it! Make it stop!
:mad2::mad2::mad2:
Love the chick, like the looks of the Evoque, love the song... but too much too much too much! Por favor- no mas!

Hated that commercial too, and would never buy that Evoque as it can't fit bikes upright in the back. BUT...thanks to you I've ID'ed that damn ear worm song.
You didn't know what the song was before this? It's one of Henry Mancini's coolest songs. (You may know him for the "Pink Panther Theme")

·
Registered
155 Posts
I paid the $30 also and found it to be much more enjoyable except for the fact the bob roll was not commenting. That part I missed... The best thing though is you get many more races the rest of the year and can watch them anywhere you go. Awesome.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Agreed.
Mind you, I've watched the ad a L O T. Like a lot lot. Even backing up and freeze-framing on the hottie in the leopard-print dress.
MMMmmMMMmmm.... dayum.
BUT.
Then they played the living schizzle out of the ad. EVERY G-D break! Oh, I can't stand it! Make it stop!
:mad2::mad2::mad2:
Love the chick, like the looks of the Evoque, love the song... but too much too much too much! Por favor- no mas!

You didn't know what the song was before this? It's one of Henry Mancini's coolest songs. (You may know him for the "Pink Panther Theme")
I did not know that (Johnny). Recognized the tune. Probably could have Shazamed it, but no, I did not know it.

It had an effect though. While I absolutely hated the commercials, I found myself humming that tune while in a dealership buying three Evoques this week. And I live alone, so...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts