Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not much of a "Lounge" guy. I enjoy the slugfest that is Politics Only, and with not enough time for two, I have pretty much chosen that one over this one.

However, I need some help here. I need (?) a new TV. I don't really have a budget in mind, but a good value is important. I don't watch it all the time, but when I do watch it I like the picture quality to be excellent. It goes in fairly large room, and I have a nice sound system to use with it. What should I plan on spending? Where should I shop? I live close enough to Denver that I could do that. What should I look for in terms of how its built?

THis is the equivalent of someone asking "I want to start riding a bike - what should I get?" Its vague, but I at least need a place to start.

As thanks for your help, I'd be glad to offer any political advice to those who would like it.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Back to the top

Please? Really! If you know anything about modern TVs, your help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
moneyman said:
Please? Really! If you know anything about modern TVs, your help will be greatly appreciated.
We got a Sony flatscreen TV a couple of years ago. I think we spent about $600-$700 for it. It's a FD WEGA Trinitron with a 30" screen. I think it's an intermediate definition TV. It is not plasma or anything, just a good old fashioned flat cathode ray tube and you can hook up surround sound to it if you like. We are very happy with it.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
moneyman said:
There's a couple of theads on it from recently, try the search function and search for HDTV.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
I just bought a Samsung 42" DLP HDTV a few weeks ago, after much hair-tearing, garment-rending and sack-cloth and ashes.

It was actually a little bigger than I thought I wanted to for the TV room--was looking at 37-inchers--but it's pretty darn nice.

Here's what I know about modern TVs--the flat/thin/light ones, not CRTs (conventional) or projection CRTs (old-style big screens):

1. New plasmas are OK--they don't seem to have the same burn-in problems the older ones did. They come pretty dang big now, but are spendy in the larger sizes.

2. The larger direct-view LCDs look quite good, but only really go up to 37 inches or so. And they're quite expensive.

3. Rear-projection LCDs are really nice, but only come in 42" or larger, as far as I've seen. Oddly, they are about half as expensive as a 37" direct view LCD, as are DLP TVs. That's why I went with the bigger one.

4. Rear-projection DLP looked better to me, but some people claim to be able to see some kind of rainbow effect on them. I saw it once on an older model a year or two ago, but not on the one I bought. They are marginally cheaper than rear-projection LCDs, and are similarly large (42" and up). You can sometimes get more features for the same bucks.

5. A monitor is NOT the same thing as a TV. Make sure you know what you're getting.

6. Regular TV looks like crap on a large-screen HDTV. It looks like crap on a regular TV too, you just can't tell. If you want to watch regular (non-HD) TV a lot, go with a CRT. DVDs look amazing, especially if you have a DVD player and TV that will show progressive scan.

7. A good surround-sound audio setup will instantly make your 27" TV seem way too small.

It's all terribly confusing, and fear of buying the wrong thing is paralyzing. Go to a store or two and look at a bunch of TVs, and figure out what you like the looks/price of. Then go online looking at reviews and "how to pick the TV for you" websites--they're out there, believe me. But go see the TVs themselves first, so you know what folks are talking about.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
dr hoo said:
There's a couple of theads on it from recently, try the search function and search for HDTV.
There are a few threads recently in NCD (Loungs) as HOO says.

In addition, here is a website....everything you ever wanted to know.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php?

Len

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Thoughts........

moneyman said:
I'm not much of a "Lounge" guy. I enjoy the slugfest that is Politics Only, and with not enough time for two, I have pretty much chosen that one over this one.

However, I need some help here. I need (?) a new TV. I don't really have a budget in mind, but a good value is important. I don't watch it all the time, but when I do watch it I like the picture quality to be excellent.

If you are going to buy now, you want 16:9 screen shape for movies (Wide screen) and HDTV. It will last longer & Have a better picture
It goes in fairly large room, and I have a nice sound system to use with it. What should I plan on spending? Where should I shop? I live close enough to Denver that I could do that. What should I look for in terms of how its built?

Bigger is better, but also more expensive. LCD goes up to about 42" doiagonal. Plasma Up to 70" DLP rear projection up to 70". $3,000 to $4,000 will get you a great TV......$2,000 to $3,000 will get you a real good TV........$5,000 will get you an unbelievable TV 42" or smaller. OTOH, a 60" Plasma ultra High End is $10,000.

Find a Best Buy with a Magnolia Home Entertainment section. They have everything you could possibly want.
THis is the equivalent of someone asking "I want to start riding a bike - what should I get?" Its vague, but I at least need a place to start.

As thanks for your help, I'd be glad to offer any political advice to those who would like it.
See my comments above....I'm in the shopping mode myself and am either going to get a 60" Sony LcoS XBRD or a 60" Pioneeer Elite Plasma. I have a good friend in the business, and he is getting me Quotes. I have a room where I sit about 17 ft away from the screen....FWIW.

Len

PS Here are other links

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=50274&highlight=hdtv
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=46698&highlight=hdtv

1 - 7 of 7 Posts