Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm moving to a new apartment this weekend and I need to buy a TV type contraption.

The room is about 20 feet deep.

The projector thing kinda sounds cool for playing games and movies. I barely watch tv day-to-day. Occasional Wii and PS3 on weekends. Lastly, never have I lusted for 1080p HD blu-ray type stuff. I mean, whenever I've watched it, I've always thought "wow. that's a clear picture", but on the flip side, I've never looked at a regular TV and thought "wow. I wish I had a clearer picture so my viewing experience could be upped."... so super HD stuff isn't necessary.

What do I get? Do I get a projector? If so, which one? Or just a TV?

Learn meh!!!

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
I have an Optoma HD70 projector. It does 720 which is damn good especially considering most high def cable TV is only 720 anyway. It can be a maximum of 13 feet away from the wall I project on, otherwise it won't focus well. At 13 feet it's a 120" screen. Also, look for one with high lumens if you're using it in a bright room. My projector only does like 1k lumens or something, and on bright days it can be hard to see. Also, they have a bulb life of about 2k hours, so if it's something that you're going to leave on constantly, perhaps a regular LCD TV would be a better option. I bought my projector during a rebate period and ended up paying about 600 for it. Also keep in mind that you have to drill in ceiling mounts, and consider how you're going to route your power and cables.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
projectors bulbs are expensive and burn out after short use.

1. Video projectors do not have RF cable or antenna connections like a television has. However, if your cable or satellite box has either S-Video, component, and/or DVI, or HDMI (for HD components) connections you would be able to hook them up to a video projector.

2. Video projectors have a very limited bulb life. In other words, if you are watching TV on your video projector about four or more hours every day, you might need to replace the light source bulb about every 18 months to 2 years at about 200-400 dollars (or more) a pop.

3. Due to the very large screen sizes used in video projection, standard TV or satellite do not look as good as they do on standard large screen television. In addition, VHS looks very poor, due to its low resolution.. If you have HDTV-cable or HDTV-satellite, you would get much better results.

Ideally, video projection is really best for viewing DVD, Blu-ray, HD-DVD movies and for big events, such as the Super Bowl, or, if viewing a TV program, limit it to that season-ending cliff hanger. If you desire longer bulb life, limit your viewing to about 12 hours a week and your projection bulb will last a few years.

If you are looking for a replacement for nightly TV watching, it would be more cost effective to buy a large screen rear projection television, LCD, or Plasma set rather than a video projector.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I would guess that if you're moving in to an apartment, then mounting a projector and running the wires would be an issue. If you're renting they usually frown on construction projects
The prices for large format TVs has come down drastically so that may be your best option

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
I mounted mine in the ceiling, it's two small holes in the drywall. I ran the wires down the wall. It's not elegant but I didn't really care. The best part was that the 60" rear projection TV I had before the projector took up the whole room. The projector freed up lots of space and you really can't tell it's there.

You could also install a shelf on the wall if you didn't want to ceiling mount it.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm... haven't quite thought of the mounting solutions. Thanks for bringing that up.

I don't plan on running it 24/7. I'm going to guess 5-10 hours a week.

Don't really plan to use it in a bright room.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
Cruzer2424 said:
Hmm... haven't quite thought of the mounting solutions. Thanks for bringing that up.

I don't plan on running it 24/7. I'm going to guess 5-10 hours a week.

Don't really plan to use it in a bright room.

Yeah I just watch movies and HDTV on it, and regular DVDs (or DVD's with upconversion) look damn good on it. I don't leave it on all the time just for noise or whatever, though, as bulbs are expensive. I've had mine 2 years now on the original bulb with occasional use. It is fantastic for sports.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Try to find a Samsung DLP TV. Otherwise Mitsubishi still makes them but you gotta change the bulbs every few years, they are like a hundred bucks for a replacement. But if you only use it 10 hours a week it should last you until you upgrade the TV.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Jim311 said:
I have an Optoma HD70 projector. It does 720 which is damn good especially considering most high def cable TV is only 720 anyway. It can be a maximum of 13 feet away from the wall I project on, otherwise it won't focus well. At 13 feet it's a 120" screen. Also, look for one with high lumens if you're using it in a bright room. My projector only does like 1k lumens or something, and on bright days it can be hard to see. Also, they have a bulb life of about 2k hours, so if it's something that you're going to leave on constantly, perhaps a regular LCD TV would be a better option. I bought my projector during a rebate period and ended up paying about 600 for it. Also keep in mind that you have to drill in ceiling mounts, and consider how you're going to route your power and cables.
I have the same projector; I love it. IIRC I have had it for three years and am still on the same bulb. Watching the tour in HD with the projector was highly enjoyable.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Have you priced out the cost of a good screen?

IMO for your application, you can get a great regular Tv that will be great with less complexity and less cost. What advantages do you see that a projection system will provide that is worth the costs?

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
I don't use a screen, just a white plastered wall, looks great. Also, make sure you factor in the cost of a surround sound setup if you don't already have one. The projector is just the screen - no sound comes out obviously.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Len J said:
Have you priced out the cost of a good screen?

IMO for your application, you can get a great regular Tv that will be great with less complexity and less cost. What advantages do you see that a projection system will provide that is worth the costs?
Don't need a screen. Have a giant white wall. I didn't start thinking about it until I saw the apartment in person. It's practically built for a projector.

Advantages? A huge picture.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Projector screens will make a huge difference in picture quality. For a projector, you really need to make the room very very dark.
For an apartment, I'd just get a LED/LCD TV. A house with a dedicated theater room would be a whole other story.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
Peanya said:
Projector screens will make a huge difference in picture quality. For a projector, you really need to make the room very very dark.
For an apartment, I'd just get a LED/LCD TV. A house with a dedicated theater room would be a whole other story.

Mine looks great, very crisp just projected on the wall. The brightness of the projector will ultimately determine how dark the room needs to be. I just close the blinds and it's good to go, no big deal at all.

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
50+ in lcd. It's obviously more movable or easy to sell, easier to install, looks great, (as great as a projector especially in the price range), and did I mention it's a much easier install... It's an apartment after all.

·
Registered
112 Posts
PlasticMotif said:
projectors bulbs are expensive and burn out after short use.
Not true at all, I haven't replace my bulb in 3 years, not sure of the hours but it is used quite a bit.
I have both, a 1080p 52" plasma TV and a 720p projector on a 100" home made screen. I like both of them, for movies the projector is much more fun and the quality is great, not as good as the 52" plasma but close enough and the size more than makes up for it.
The room does not have to be dark at all, the quality is better with a dark room but I still enjoy watching my projector with the lights on.
Also, do a web search for home made projector screens, there are paint formulations you can mix up that make the picture really "pop"
There is something about the projector and a really big screen, I love it!
Rusty

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
You can make your own screens also. I suggest visiting the AVS forums for more info regardless of what you decide. There is more technical jargon and info over there than you can comprehend.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts