Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was in the middle of a 50 miler and had a blowout. No big deal because I carry an extra tube. So I pull out the tube and find that it's a short stem which will not fit my Campy Zondas. Oh @#$% ! I had passed the local NBC affliate for Central Texas about a half mile back so I start walking the bike hoping they will let me borrow their phone. When I arrived at KCEN I was treated like I was the owner of their station. What a GREAT bunch of folks. My calls went unanswered because everyone I knew was at work. I was stranded eighteen miles from home. When I told the station's secretary she started asking employees if they were going in my direction. Lo and behold the local weatherman loaded up my bike and took me to my door. Amazing!!! Thanks KCEN 6!!!

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
A nice story for a change. Usually we hear stories of terrible people who are out to kill us. You should write a letter to the station manager, letting him know, what a great bunch of people he has working for him.

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
A nice story for a change. Usually we hear stories of terrible people who are out to kill us. You should write a letter to the station manager, letting him know, what a great bunch of people he has working for him.
+1 :D

· Registered
602 Posts
that is a cool story

I've usually had very good experiences with cars while I was standing still, either just stopped or stuck. My only problems with drivers/people have been while my bike is actually moving. I think there's something to that :D

· $4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
Similiar story

El Cheapo said:
Today I was in the middle of a 50 miler and had a blowout. No big deal because I carry an extra tube. So I pull out the tube and find that it's a short stem which will not fit my Campy Zondas. Oh @#$% ! I had passed the local NBC affliate for Central Texas about a half mile back so I start walking the bike hoping they will let me borrow their phone. When I arrived at KCEN I was treated like I was the owner of their station. What a GREAT bunch of folks. My calls went unanswered because everyone I knew was at work. I was stranded eighteen miles from home. When I told the station's secretary she started asking employees if they were going in my direction. Lo and behold the local weatherman loaded up my bike and took me to my door. Amazing!!! Thanks KCEN 6!!!
Last Spring, I cracked a rim on a late Friday afternoon ride. Old wheels...should known better...but that's not the story. I figured I was gonna walk the 10 miles home. The road I was walking paralleled the highway. A police officer from a neighboring town saw me from the highway, got off the next exit, doubled back and asked if I needed help. He quickly realized my bike was unrideable. He gave me a lift home. The guy was off duty, on a Friday, heading home and out of his jurisdiction but helped me anyway. I got his name and wrote a nice letter to his captain on my personal, business stationary (more umpffff). Besides, he let me play with his voice activated computer checking on everyone's license plate number. Regrettfully, I found no crooks!!

· Banned
45 Posts
Real America

El Cheapo said:
You live in Fly-Over Country; where real Americans live. And, to be fortunate to be
a mile from a small-market television station where the newscasters and weathermen
are calling their agents to see what happens when they don't survive the July Arbitron.
Enjoy your life. You've got it all over us.

· Just one more switchback
237 Posts
similar story

I was on a group ride a few years ago and flatted. We stopped to fix it and jumped back on the bike to realize that I had actually double flatted. I told the guys to go ahead and I would fix second flat and head home. After they had all left I realized my patch kit was shot so I started walking the 10+/- miles to the car. As I walked by a house the lady that lived there asked if I wanted a ride. She was getting ready to go pick up her husband and was heading in my direction.

Most people are nice and will go out of their way to help others in need.

· Registered
9,274 Posts
Most people

Most people are nice and will go out of their way to help others in need.[/QUOTE]

A woman I know relates the story of being out in the sticks, miles from anywhere when she flatted. She neither carried, nor knew how to use tire repair equipment or tubes. She is hiking down the lonely mountain road in her Looks when she rounds the corner and sees a woman coming out of the church office. She gets a move on and asks the lady for a ride into town, several miles away and the woman says, I'd rather not, gets in her car and drives off! Didn't that lady ever hear about the Good Samaritan?? Oh yeah, he wasn't on a bike...

I've since tried to teach my friend how to change a tire and to caryy a spare and tools.

· Registered
162 Posts
To Be Fare?

CFBlue said:
Most people are nice and will go out of their way to help others in need.
A woman I know relates the story of being out in the sticks, miles from anywhere when she flatted. She neither carried, nor knew how to use tire repair equipment or tubes. She is hiking down the lonely mountain road in her Looks when she rounds the corner and sees a woman coming out of the church office. She gets a move on and asks the lady for a ride into town, several miles away and the woman says, I'd rather not, gets in her car and drives off! Didn't that lady ever hear about the Good Samaritan?? Oh yeah, he wasn't on a bike...

I've since tried to teach my friend how to change a tire and to caryy a spare and tools.[/QUOTE]

Maybe she had a excuse and was being blunt about not giving her a ride like she was going the other way or she didnn't want to get her car dirty! I had a flat once and called a cab. When the cab came he insisted not putting my bike in the back seat? So I had to jam my bike into his trunk?

I hope she didn't take it personally. At least the drive stop to say she didn't want to give her a ride???

40 Posts
Thou protest too much

Cory said:
But the TV ones are dumber than we print folks.
I resemble that last remark. I've had tv stops in San Diego, Hollywood, Cincinnati,
Hollywood, Tulsa, Palm Springs, Casper, Palm Springs and Hollywood. It's the nature
of the beast.
In Hollywood, when you are working on more than one film or show at
once, you are said to "bicycle" between shows. It comes from the fact that once everyone working at a studio rode bicycles from one soundstage to another because the distances seem to be so great.

40 Posts
so easy to remember and so hard to forget

Museum of Zero Tolerance said:
I resemble that last remark. I've had tv stops in San Diego, Hollywood, Cincinnati,
Hollywood, Tulsa, Palm Springs, Casper, Palm Springs and Hollywood. It's the nature
of the beast.
In Hollywood, when you are working on more than one film or show at
once, you are said to "bicycle" between shows. It comes from the fact that once everyone working at a studio rode bicycles from one soundstage to another because the distances seem to be so great.
revisionism...
its San Diego, Hollywood, Cincinnati, Hollywood, Tulsa, Palm Springs, Casper,
Palm Springs, Washington-DC, and Hollywood (how could I forget Washington-DC?)

· Registered
18 Posts
TV=good people

I unfortunately decided to take the broadcasting career path. As much as I hate television,all the crap that tends to be on it and the industry as a whole, I have to say there are some damn fine people that work in that field. For every two sh*theads there are 15 truly wonderfull, decent people like that one that gave you the ride. This seems to be (in my eyes) a better ratio than the rest of the world. I'm not really sure why, but meteorologists and engineers seem to be the really cool ones, maybe its all the math classes.
So are you going to start watching that channel??

· 105 and alum is good enuf
125 Posts
who d weatherman? Andy Anderson?

El Cheapo said:

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Armyslowrdr!

THE MAN / weatherman was none other than Mike Cameron. After his morning weather segments he does running workouts of 10-15 miles. He had just finished a run and was getting ready to head home when he offered me a ride. Invited me to do a ten miler with him. COOL GUY!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.