Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Witty custom user title
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, not leave it alone completely - I already own it. Here's my thoughts/issue that I'm looking for some input on: I built this bike up the end of last year, and it's been really outstanding for what I intended it for - those days where I want a fat, cushy, steel bike ride that's uber comfortable and yet still has plenty of ability to bang it out for big miles, or even a relatively quick group ride given the correct tire choice. I have it setup 1X, and with a relatively large front ring (42), it's done all I've asked. That said, she ain't light. Usually no big deal at all - I live in flat coastal Virginia. But I do a handful of gravel/mixed surface events every year in the VA, NC, and WV mountains and I'm pretty sure I'd like to use this bike for these events going forward.

The Standard Rando comes with a steel fork if you haven't seen it, so I'm debating pulling it for a carbon fork. But not sure that this is really going to make a huge difference in terms of performance, etc. (or worth the price of upgrading). But I do know that it will be lighter. The events I indicated above are usually 6-7000 feet of climbing, sometimes more. Is the $350 (or something in that neighborhood) worth the expense to switch to a carbon fork? Anyone else have a steel do everything rig that you added a carbon fork to? Thoughts? Thanks for any input...

·
Witty custom user title
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A carbon fork will likely be a downgrade for you.
That's interesting feedback (and a possible thanks for saving me money). But I am interested as to what would make you say that? Ride quality? The weight trimming benefit wouldn't be worth (insert carbon fork negative here)?

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
That's interesting feedback (and a possible thanks for saving me money). But I am interested as to what would make you say that? Ride quality? The weight trimming benefit wouldn't be worth (insert carbon fork negative here)?
The focus on CF frames and forks has been stiffness. Not to say that there aren't CF forks that are more compliant, but most will be stiffer than steel by design.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Even though my bikes are totally different (I ride Colnago Masters & have two) they are virtually identical. One has a steel fork & one has a carbon fork. I much prefer the steel fork. It handles most surfaces better & steers better. The exceptions, the carbon fork handles very small vibration slightly better & is slightly lighter. In my opinion, a carbon fork is not worth changing to & is overall a downgrade. Save your money.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Ride quality is what I meant but lack of benefit from weight reduction is certainly also true.

There are exceptions but generally speaking steel forks are more comfortable than carbon forks.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
$ for the weight saving, not worth it. The events aren't races so not much point wasting the cash. Put it towards a racing frame if you really want to get serious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts