Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever seen this twisted spoke lacing pattern before and care to tell what the advantages/disadvantages are? I've never seen it before but admittedly don't spend any time building wheels. I can't see why anyone would use this twisted lacing over more traditional lacing patterns. Thanks.

singlecross

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Looks like a "snowflake" pattern. I've also seen it done with solder holding the twisted part together. Look cool, shows the entire world what an unconventional and experienced wheelbuilder you are, but in the end, it offers no advantage of any kind.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Bingo

Dave_Stohler said:
Looks like a "snowflake" pattern. I've also seen it done with solder holding the twisted part together. Look cool, shows the entire world what an unconventional and experienced wheelbuilder you are, but in the end, it offers no advantage of any kind.
Before you could buy bling (think factory wheels), this was essentially the only "wheel bling" available. Nothing on offer from a performance perspective and a lot harder to build, but "Mister, those sure are cool wheels!"

·
A wheelist
11,689 Posts
singlecross said:
Anybody ever seen this twisted spoke lacing pattern before and care to tell what the advantages/disadvantages are? I've never seen it before but admittedly don't spend any time building wheels. I can't see why anyone would use this twisted lacing over more traditional lacing patterns.
It's been done many times and works best for people who need attention from others. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. Much appreciated...

singlecross

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.