Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The VMO on my right leg (muscle just above, and to the inside of the knee cap) twitches all the frickin time. Drives me nuts, and you can see it moving my pants. What causes this? It's been going nuts for a week or more, and has done this before. It'll twitch for 20-30 seconds, then stop for a minute or two, then do it again.

If it matters, I had my right ACL reconstructed with my right patella tendon 10 years ago (no issues, very quick recovery)

Do I have early onset parkinsons?:cryin:

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
See the doc. I thought it was just a short thing but the way you described it indicates it could be anything from a minor nerve issue to something a little more perhaps.

Good luck.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
eat a banana

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cyclefreaksix said:
Benign Fasciculation Syndrome:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_fasciculation_syndrome

I have some experience with this, but go get checked out by a doc.
Thanks. That sounds like it. In the past, it has occasonally done it in my eye and my right forearm, which Wiki suggests.

Guess I just gotta relax a bit. Anyone want to borrow my triplets for a few months so I can decompress?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
That, right there, is some serious [0|)3 !!!!!
i was busy when i posted. the potassium helps with muscle twitching.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Magnesium is your friend.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
cyclefreaksix said:
Benign Fasciculation Syndrome:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_fasciculation_syndrome

I have some experience with this, but go get checked out by a doc.
I have BFS. Can be extremely annoying, but I'll take it over the other diseases that have muscle twitching as symptoms.

Go see a doc, if you're concerned. Whatever you do - don't try to self-diagnose by using the interwebs.

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
Creakyknees said:
+1

Is that a twitching leg muscle in your pants,
or are you just glad to see me?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
when did walgreens start advertising here? they must search and look where their employees spend all their time.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
I have a relative who has BFS. Last year, an "oh, by the way" comment about twitching led to a referral to a neurologist who used the "A" word (Alzheimer's) offhandedly. That ended up with two trips a few months apart to a very high level medical program where we met with an uber-guru in his field. Obviously we were thrilled with this diagnosis (and everything is still good). "Benign" is the thing - it's really nothing.

His recommendations were potassium (believe he specifically said bananas too) and to reduce caffiene, especially late in the day. I get them too but never really mentioned it to anyone - usually more often when I'm under a lot of stress and could happen anywhere (well, not there yet).

Hope this is all it is for you too, but you may want to be checked out. I'm pretty good with applying bandaids but that's about the extent of my medical training.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts