Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have success training 2X in a day? I've not found much literature on cycling two-a-days, but there is a fair amount on running. I've done a fair amount of cycling and running broken up throughout the day, but I've never done two cycling workouts in the same day. Just curious as to what kind of workouts you might do and whether or not it's effective...more or less so than just a single work out?

Andrea, Creaky and Kerry, I'm looking in your direction.:thumbsup:

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
If you've got the time, why not? As long as you are smart about it, it can't hurt. Especially if you race weekend stage/omnium races where you're likely to race 2x in one day. I'd do it one of two ways:
- A focused interval workout and an aerobic/tempo workout
-Two interval workouts- one w/longer & lower intensity intervals (threshold/sub-threshold) and one with VO2 max intervals or hill attacks or something of that nature.

Example #2 may be more helpful in race prep, but you'd need to sandwich it between easier days of riding and make sure to mind your recovery between sessions in order to be able to successfully complete the 2nd session of the day.

Edit: I'd like to add that if you feel too fatigued from your first workout to reach your planned intensities in the 2nd training session, then you probably need more once-a-day training.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I do it but I usually refer to it as commuting. Not two-a-days. :D

My mornings are always recovery type rides. I will mix in some intensity on the PM commute depending on my plan and how I feel.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
biknben said:
I do it but I usually refer to it as commuting. Not two-a-days. :D

My mornings are always recovery type rides. I will mix in some intensity on the PM commute depending on my plan and how I feel.
Guess I never thought of that. When I do commute, it's only about 15 minutes each way, so I don't consider it part of my training.

I did a 60 minute tempo ride this morning, so I think I'll try some intervals tonight and see how that goes.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Goals?

BuckeyeBiker said:
Anyone have success training 2X in a day? I've not found much literature on cycling two-a-days, but there is a fair amount on running. I've done a fair amount of cycling and running broken up throughout the day, but I've never done two cycling workouts in the same day. Just curious as to what kind of workouts you might do and whether or not it's effective...more or less so than just a single work out?
If your goal is to do well in short efforts or train for events that might have two stages in one day, then 2X per day might be just the ticket. If your goal is long distance events, then it likely will be hard to find the time for two long sessions in a day. All that said, unless you're already at a very competitive level, then higher intensity and more hours, plus very easy recovery days is what you need and the added tweak of 2X workouts won't mean much except that it is convenient with your schedule.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
wtf.... I had a long detailed post. friggin ATT.

anyway, I've done early morning workouts where I roll out of bed, slam a bit of water, jog over to the local park (just enough to get warmed up/break a sweat) then do a bunch of calisthenic / core work / yoga stuff / plyometrics etc. Then jog home easy and in the afternoon/evening, do the regular ride.

I found that it really increases my energy level during the day, doesn't add much to my fatigue load, and the core work etc really helps on the bike.

/ oh yeah, it really helps burn off fat too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used to be on the US national team from 94-96. We did Two a days all the time. I used to do them a lot if the only races on the weekend were crits. I would do 4 hours in the morning, go home eat a big lunch rest and the race in the afternoon. In those days a 90 minute crit wasn't enough time on the bike to get ready for the 130 mile road races.

Now that I don't do long road races and I pretty much only do crits 100km and shorter I rarely ever train more than 2 hours. My long rides are 3 hours and they are few and far between. It is more about effort than time. Intervals and high tempo, seem to do the job for racing crits.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool beans. Thanks for all the replies guys.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The key to doing it right is: to shower in between rides, eat really well, and don't reuse your shorts, always start with a fresh pair. Happy 2x.

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts
Training isnt about the 'right way' there is just 'the way' that works best for individuals. The only way is the one which works best for you taking into consideration how much time you have to train, and if that means you do it 2x day, and it works for you,,,do it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts