Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of bikers were arrested last Friday at Critical Mass in Seattle last Friday. It was kind of a police-miscommunication between the Sheriffs Office and Seatte PD. Seattle PD generally has been ignoring Critical Mass however when two Deputies who really werent in their jurisdiction(unincorpoated areas) saw the bikers blocking the road they took action. So far no one has been charged. Heres a link. If you dig around you can find a couple of other stories. Its kind of a police embarrassment right now.

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsour...earrests04m&date=20060704&query=critical+mass

· Registered
2,746 Posts
borregokid said:
A couple of bikers were arrested last Friday at Critical Mass in Seattle last Friday. It was kind of a police-miscommunication between the Sheriffs Office and Seatte PD. Seattle PD generally has been ignoring Critical Mass however when two Deputies who really werent in their jurisdiction(unincorpoated areas) saw the bikers blocking the road they took action. So far no one has been charged. Heres a link. If you dig around you can find a couple of other stories. Its kind of a police embarrassment right now.

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsour...earrests04m&date=20060704&query=critical+mass
He said, she said.... fault could go either way. I will say that an 18 year old with alcohol riding in a huge group down a city street and blocking traffic was not exactly the example you want to set as a responsible cyclist.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
jtolleson said:
Well said. With CM the question always remains whether it is truly going to be a "police embarrassment" or a cyclist embarrassment.
CM is ineffective at best and confrontational at worst. For a ride that is supposed to "educate" drivers about how cyclists are traffic and not obstacles it seems to have lost its message somewhere along the way.

· Registered
2,643 Posts
Guess that call depends on the reader.

jtolleson said:
Well said. With CM the question always remains whether it is truly going to be a "police embarrassment" or a cyclist embarrassment.
Those who are annoyed by cyclists probably read it one way, those who have a problem with the police another. That, imho, is the problem with CM. If they were riding with a clear destination and/or a clear message I'd have no problem with their tactics. Sadly all that comes across is the tactics. The objective appears to be playing in traffic and the assertion of cyclists rights gets lost.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
People like this should be shot.
Cyclists.......Ha !.....I wouldn't even call them bicyclers.

· Registered
5,644 Posts
a few years ago there were some incidents in Louisville where a few dozen people were trying to create a critical mass situation on one of the major friday/saturday night strips (Bardstown Rd), anyway, at least once someone was arrested, and all i could think was good riddance. i personally see cm as little more than @ssholes doing what they do best.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
IMO CM does way more harm than good. All it does is piss people off. Both the general public, and the cyclists who are participating, seem to get angry. Not too productive in my book.

· Registered
6,422 Posts
CM rides...

CM rides suck, and most of the people I have ever seen doing them, that's the only time I ever see them riding bikes. They're not out on the roads training and riding every single day. No, these are the folks who want confrontation, and who think of themselves as "so punk rock", or rebels of some sort. These folks make it harder for me to go out and ride, because they piss off the drivers, and then the next day, I'm out on a training ride alone, and I get harrassed for what they did. Not saying that this has happened, but I could see how it could. CM's should just be banned, it's stupid and serves no purpose other than to make some people with 7000 pound SUVs mad at you.

· Registered
22 Posts
I agree. I think that raising awareness is a great idea, but again what message is really being sent? Ride respectably and hopefully you'll get respected in return. Not a good idea to piss of someone in any vehicle who may already be on the verge...

· Registered
130 Posts
When I saw ads on Craigslist looking for "a cheap Critical Mass bike for Friday's rally" it spoke volumes about how they are more interested in causing mayhem than making a real statement.

These are the worst charlatans on the block and I certainly don't want them speaking for or associated with me. Living in the Bay Area, though, I get that question from people a lot when they find out I'm a "biker."

"You in Critical Mass?"

I could vomit.

· Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Sao said:
When I saw ads on Craigslist looking for "a cheap Critical Mass bike for Friday's rally" it spoke volumes about how they are more interested in causing mayhem than making a real statement.

These are the worst charlatans on the block and I certainly don't want them speaking for or associated with me. Living in the Bay Area, though, I get that question from people a lot when they find out I'm a "biker."

"You in Critical Mass?"

I could vomit.
Had CM rides here about 5 years back. The organizer himself bought an old Huffy just to ride during the events. I saw him before one ride, carrying it in the hatch of his Saab.

I think that says it all.....

· Registered
42 Posts
Sao said:
Not necessarliy. The police (at least in NYC) don't treat bicycles very well when they arrest you during Critical Mass.

· Banned
2,767 Posts
UFO™ said:
Not necessarliy. The police (at least in NYC) don't treat bicycles very well when they arrest you during Critical Mass.
Who cares since Critical Mass is one of the worst ideas ever, just a few places behind getting involved in a land war in Asia. Yeah, Critical Mass really helps.:rolleyes:

· No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
cmurider said:
This and critical mass rallies make me understand motorists hatred towards us a little more.

Like seriously... I am a cyclist. Cycling is my life 9 months out of the year (the other 3 go to ski racing/training. :p ) I could see how cars parked in *my* lane (read: bike lane), would piss me off when I'm on a long commute home from work, or a really long training ride.

But geez. This is the way to start a war between motorists and cyclists! Not get cyclists their rights!

Malcom X vs. Martin Luther King Jr!

Or...

Magneto vs. Professor X!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.