Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live at the top of a pretty big hill (around a ten min climb on a bike) and it would be pretty impossible for me to get up it on a normally geared fixie. My question is can I have a small cog on one side of the wheel and a big one on the other for the climb? Is that possible? My road bike is too annoying to bring on the daily commute and I want to start cycling in and out of school.

Cheers for any feedback

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
sure, or a dingle cog and have 'em on the same side... if you're creative you could do a double crank w/ 2 rings and the same length of chain. neato!

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Surly's Dingle cog has two cogs side by side, spaced to line up with a double chainring crank. With a dingle set-up you have two fairly distinct gear ratios without having to flip the wheel or worry (much) about chain length. Just loosen the axle and move the chain to the inboard or outboard combo.

White Industries sells a freewheel version of the concept (actually hit the market first, IIRC).

·
hello
3,394 Posts
I too live at the top of a very steep hill but I find it such a hassle to flip the wheel just for this one hill. I always end up walking up this hill whenever I take the fixed gear out. It's only a few minutes on foot.
Besides, I really need about 40 gear inches to climb this particular hill......which basically means a 2x2 set up on the fixed gear for the huge difference in gear inches needed......hardly worth the set up for one hill.

·
Registered
962 Posts
agreed, do a search for 2x2. you story is like mine. i road mtb and road bikes fixed and SS, but moved to the top of a monster hill, so needed a bailout (climbing) gear. two of my bikes are now 2x2 (2 chainrings and 2 cogs, one chain length).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick question.

So if you run a 2x2 do you manually change the chain from one chainring to another or do you need some kind of front der.?

BTW thanks for all the feedback!

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
shellshock said:
So if you run a 2x2 do you manually change the chain from one chainring to another or do you need some kind of front der.?

BTW thanks for all the feedback!

manual

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's cleared up!

I understand, now its just down to gearing and buying a frame and wheels...

I just did a google search of 2x2 as suggested and I saw that white industries set up with a double cog freewheel. And as a roadie I've only ever once tried a 'proper' fixie. Is having a freewheel cheating? Anyway I've heard fixie riders have the best pedal stroke so I don't think I should ***** out...

·
hello
3,394 Posts
You need to do some math to determine if you're able to set up a 2x2 drivetrain to get low enough gear inches for this hill you're talking about and also have your normal gear inches for everything else.
What is your typical gearing on your road bike going up this hill?

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Considering the 17:19, 17:20 and 17:21 dingle cogs available, it seems like one would be spoiled for options. 44:17 for the flats and down to 40:21 for hills . .

·
hello
3,394 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
44:17 for the flats and down to 40:21 for hills . .
Those combinations might work for the OP as 40/21 will yield a low gear of about 50 inches and 44/17 is a good all around gear. I need to get down to about 40 GI to make it up my hill and that's with a good deal of mashing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gearing

I was thinking about it last night and I'm usually second from bottom on the back which is about 39x22. I'm not totally sure. I'll count it when I get the chance. That's usually after a good ride and my legs are knackered but I have gone up in around a 53x22 as well, so there's a good range in between. I'm really thinking of this as a commuter so I could handle a bit of slog at the end of a day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts