Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm not sure what the fashion police is going to say about having two computers on one bike. the first one is a standard non-cadence computer and the new one i'm thinking of comes with cadence. rationale for this? so that i can see both time and distance travelled at the same time. also, i can't bear to part with the old one, which has served me well and continues to do so. i'm not a weight-weenie so i don't really care how much more weight a second computer will add to the bike (maybe i might when i'm climbing a sustained 3km long +10% hill).

anyone else has two computers on one bike??? just curious.

boon

·
Registered
583 Posts
there's gotta be a split screen model out there that shows you both at the same time...

As far as two computers mounted on the bars...that may actually look pretty sweet (symatry and whatnot). If they are wired computers...The fashion police may well bring you down.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You might look at the Planet Bike Protege computers. They give you 4 lines of information on the screen, including speed, distance and ride time.

They are pretty cheap ($15 - $30), and I have had very good luck with them.

·
naranjito
785 Posts
why do you need to see both time and distance at the same time? there are plenty of computers out there that can show you both those things at once, but if yours doesn't then is it so hard to push the buttons and run through the menus? computer and an hrm is usually ok, but 2 computers is a bit strange in my opinion...

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
Yes you can do it (although how are you going to do the sensor for the second computer- get a rear wheel kit?). Yes it will look a bit weird.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Two computers on my bike

boon said:
anyone else has two computers on one bike??? just curious.

boon
I have two computers on my Trek 5200. When I bought the bike, I had a wireless PI Flight Deck installed. About a year later, I received a Polar 720 HRM as a Christmas present. I was too lazy to remove the Flight Deck and the single magnet on my front wheel trips both the Flight Deck sensor, which is on the right blade of my fork, and the Polar sensor, which is on the left blade of my fork. On my other bikes, I only use the Polar and I see no significant advantage to having two computers.

One interesting thing: although each of the wireless computers is subject to external electrical interference, each has different sensitivities. For example, the Flight Deck goes completely haywire when I use my NiteRider Blowtorch light, but the Polar is not impacted. On the other hand, high tension power lines (especially those near the Amtrak Northeast Corridor line that I parallel for part of my commute) totally screw up the Polar, but do not impact the Flight Deck.

·
GeoCyclist
655 Posts
Just Do It!

Cycling police be damned!

I have a Polar 725 and Specialized Pro computer on my bike. Both computers are wireless (with exception of cadence for Specialized Pro) and I’ve had no problem with interference between computers. I’ve kept the Specialized computer for the instantaneous % Grade function; as I don’t get out of the saddle until I’m climbing over a 10% grade. Yeah, Japan has a lot of >10% climbs. I also like the bigger cadence display on my Specialized computer.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have two on my bike. A Sigma Sport BC1200 (very light) that is hardwired and my Polar 625x. I have two reasons. I need the Polar for HR, Altitude and all the killer analysis that can be done after download, but its not always accurate enough on the speedo and distance to satisfy my analytic freak side. A hardwired computer is always dead on. Also sometimes I just want to ride without all the bother of the Polar, putting the HR strap on, putting the watch on the bike (I use it for running also so I don't leave it on the bike).

As far as both sensors go they both use the same magnet on the front whell and are both held on by the same two zip ties. I just drilled out a couple of holes on the sigma sensor and fed the zip ties that go through the Polar speed sensor through them. The Polar goes on the front edge of the fork and the Sigma goes on the rear. I put a small part of an old inner tube on to keep things in place. I'd take a photo, but Im just too darn lazy!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have only one on my bike but i perfer to strap my hrm on the other side of my handlebars, as I am more comfortable looking down then looking on my wrist.
FWIW I can't stand seeing the distance while I''m riding. It doesn't go fast enough, maybe its the engine.

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
santcruzer said:
I don't understand the need for cadence, you can't tell how fast you are pedaling?
i can tell that it feels fast, medium or slow. i can't tell how many revolutions per minute i am doing. does it matter? maybe, maybe not. but being, or perhaps feeling, still somewhat of a newbie, it would be nice to know what it feels like to maintain 90rpm.

anyway, there doesn't appear to be any bike computer that simultaneously display elapsed time, distance travelled and cadence. so i think i'll go with the two computers on one bike scenario for now and see how that feels. if it's weird, then i might ditch the old computer.

i appreciate everyone's comments on this unusual question. cheers.

boon

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't see why it would be such a problem to have 2. I ride with a computer and a separate HRM monitor cos i like to use that for other stuff and like seeing numbers easily. Wouldn't most ppl think that one was a computer and one was a HRM anyway? Go for it

·
Registered
361 Posts
cateye double wireless...

my cateye double wireless displays my current speed, cadence, distance traveled and time simultaneously.

boon said:
i can tell that it feels fast, medium or slow. i can't tell how many revolutions per minute i am doing. does it matter? maybe, maybe not. but being, or perhaps feeling, still somewhat of a newbie, it would be nice to know what it feels like to maintain 90rpm.

anyway, there doesn't appear to be any bike computer that simultaneously display elapsed time, distance travelled and cadence. so i think i'll go with the two computers on one bike scenario for now and see how that feels. if it's weird, then i might ditch the old computer.

boon

·
I do all my own stunts
76 Posts
If you want only one computer try the Cateye double wireless with cadence. It does exactly what you want. Otherwise, the fashion police be damned! :thumbsup:

boon said:

boon

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
kayakado said:
I know lots of touring cyclists who have two computers on their bikes - in case one fails while they are out on a tour.
Ummm! This kinda makes a statement about computers in general, no? I'm not saying I disagree.

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
itsjon said:
If you want only one computer try the Cateye double wireless with cadence. It does exactly what you want. Otherwise, the fashion police be damned! :thumbsup:
Thanks for the suggestion. i wasn't aware of that particular model. anyway, i checked out the price and here in New Zealand, it sells for NZD$260 (approx. USD$161). Saw it on eBay for USD$109 + freight. seems like a lot of money for a bike computer. any transmission problems, especially when travelling downhill at high speed or going pass area with high electromagnetic or radiowave interference?

boon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.