Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding east on rt 23 out of hillsdale ny, climing up catamount hill when all of a sudden a pickup truck traveling westward honks at me, and the driver and passenger sitting behind him wave and cheer.

the pickup truck following directly behind the first offender decided to emulate the actions of the first; honking, then waving and cheering.

this was definitely intentional, and directed at me alone.

I'm encountering this kind of behavior from motorists more and more.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I had my first less-than-desirable interaction with a motorist last week (1st in 5 years in my area). On a slight decline, I'm traveling at 30 mph, but I have to slow because there are cars stopped in front of me (first car turning left and only one lane). As I begin to slow, the truck behind me blows the horn for 15+ seconds. Almost the amount of time it takes me to come to a complete stop one car behind a police officer. Car turns and we start going again. The police officer turns right and within 5 seconds of passing that rode, here comes the horn again. I look back and the lady in the truck is calmly laying on the horn. I stare at her and tell her to come around (the road was clear). She comes around, looks me in the eye, and then passes. No rage, no shouting, no dirty looks, no cursing...just calmly stares. It was bizarre!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Cripes. Best case, she was clueless about how to use the horn. But from your story I have a hard time believing that.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
horn honking used to be very very common in the 70s and 80s, when cars were not used to seeing any bicycles on the road (midwest). I think they were just clueless, saw cyclists as crackpots and hippes, and assumed their were being helpful from a safety standpoint??? Like the lady in your story.

I do not experience people honking at all in recent years (west coast). Yelling, close pass, even a couple rolling coal experiences, but no honking. Albeit, the local car culture is to never, ever honk in traffic no matter what.

338 Posts
I ride the same area, but out of Pawling and then up your way. I've found once you get above Dover, most drivers are extremely cautious and gracious around cyclists unless it's the weekend, where you're more likely to encounter idiots from NJ and Westchester County up at their summer/weekend homes. (I used to live/ride in both those areas).

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Thought everyone was hoking at me today while climbing.

It was just the tunnels I kept going through.

People like to honk in tunnels.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I ride the same area, but out of Pawling and then up your way. I've found once you get above Dover, most drivers are extremely cautious and gracious around cyclists unless it's the weekend, where you're more likely to encounter idiots from NJ and Westchester County up at their summer/weekend homes. (I used to live/ride in both those areas).
Idiots from NJ? Why would we go to East Bumblef*ck NY when we have the Jersey Shore? How many bikinis per mile do you get in banjo and tick country? No beach for you!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I was riding east on rt 23 out of hillsdale ny, climing up catamount hill when all of a sudden a pickup truck traveling westward honks at me, and the driver and passenger sitting behind him wave and cheer.

the pickup truck following directly behind the first offender decided to emulate the actions of the first; honking, then waving and cheering.

this was definitely intentional, and directed at me alone.

I'm encountering this kind of behavior from motorists more and more.
Glad to see this post Speed! I was thinking of posting something like this... Last 2 weeks or couple hundred miles of riding, people have been unusually polite and courteous. Last Sturday there were tons of garage sales and that traffic mojo is trippy... I had to take the lane on a busy road for a stretch and no one minded one bit? On Fathers Day I got a buch of happy Fathers Day comments, compliments on the bike, and a few be safe out there! No one EVER comments. I rode in the heart of rush hour tonight and people were nice and safe and shared...

·
Registered
456 Posts
The waving and politeness from the odd motorist I get, but from not one but two pickup trucks? Go buy a loto ticket.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I had a pretty good tailwind on a slight decline and was cranking along at a good pace when a cop pulls up next to me and rolls down his window. You're doing 32mph he yells at me. I got a tailwind on a downhill, I yell back. But your doing 32mph he yells again, gives me the thumbs up and drove away.

Ya gotta like it when that kinda thing happens.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,437 Posts
I know the area pretty well. Nice riding up there. People are more courteous up there than in Tri State NJ/NY/CT area.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
Tour de France season. nowadays drivers love seeing cyclists climbing hills ;)
When riding any of the Summit climbs in Mt Rainier National Park tapping on the horn and waving once slightly in front while passing is pretty common. Flat landers often have a special appreciation for those willing to suffer on long climbs.

I do think this behavior is more common when mountain stage races are being televised.

338 Posts
Idiots from NJ? Why would we go to East Bumblef*ck NY when we have the Jersey Shore? How many bikinis per mile do you get in banjo and tick country? No beach for you!
Well, the idiots seem to like the Berkshire area - you should ask some of them. Been to the Jersey shore, stopped going, Va Beach is much nicer! Rhode Island is nice too - less idiots!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Well, the idiots seem to like the Berkshire area - you should ask some of them. Been to the Jersey shore, stopped going, Va Beach is much nicer! Rhode Island is nice too - less idiots!
The problem you face with idiots is that wherever you go there will always be at least one.

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
I had my first less-than-desirable interaction with a motorist last week (1st in 5 years in my area). On a slight decline, I'm traveling at 30 mph, but I have to slow because there are cars stopped in front of me (first car turning left and only one lane). As I begin to slow, the truck behind me blows the horn for 15+ seconds. Almost the amount of time it takes me to come to a complete stop one car behind a police officer. Car turns and we start going again. The police officer turns right and within 5 seconds of passing that rode, here comes the horn again. I look back and the lady in the truck is calmly laying on the horn. I stare at her and tell her to come around (the road was clear). She comes around, looks me in the eye, and then passes. No rage, no shouting, no dirty looks, no cursing...just calmly stares. It was bizarre!
--Did she look like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjL7NoWiwd8

1 - 20 of 26 Posts