• Other

Votes: 2 50.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I am visiting your beautiful State in July of this year with work (I live in England).

I have a day off on Friday 8th July and was thinking of renting a road bike for two or three days and discovering the state a bit more.

I have cycled over the GWB and North for a few hours and out to Coney Island in the past but I'm looking for advice on how to make the most of my time.

Looking on this forum has been great and Bear Mountain, Westpoint, The Hamptons have all been mentioned.

You guys who live and breathe New York, what's the best use of my time? I'm an average road bike rider and do 60-100 mile events a few times a year. I don't need this to be crazy long but enough of a challenge to be worthwhile.

I could stretch to three days if the route is worth it but ideally I'd by go out Friday, stay somewhere cheap (recommendations?) and head back Saturday.

Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
Could be wrong on this, others feel free to correct if I am, but the Hamptons in July and riding don't mix. Nothing cheap to rent either, expensive rooming. Beach great, but I would think the traffic is at its worse for any kind of workout. Tooling around casual would be great. If you want to concentrate on riding, Bear Mountain area is a gateway to lots of riding with less traffic, varied terrain.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Given you will be here on a Friday in July (and the Friday after the July 4th holiday), I would stay away from the Hamptons. Weekender traffic will be rough. Of the choices, the further away from NYC you can get, the more enjoyable. If you could find your way to get over to Harriman State Park, that would be nice.
Or come out to Western NJ and enjoy the rides we have out here. Unfortunately public transportation out to Hunterdon Country isnt a viable option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be wrong on this, others feel free to correct if I am, but the Hamptons in July and riding don't mix. Nothing cheap to rent either, expensive rooming. Beach great, but I would think the traffic is at its worse for any kind of workout. Tooling around casual would be great. If you want to concentrate on riding, Bear Mountain area is a gateway to lots of riding with less traffic, varied terrain.
Thanks for the information, how long to ride up to bear mountain park? Is it one day up, one day back? Should I be doing 3 days so I have a day in the middle up there?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the information, how long to ride up to bear mountain park? Is it one day up, one day back? Should I be doing 3 days so I have a day in the middle up there?
If you ride up to bear from the city and back, it'll be about 100 miles. I live on the Upper East side of Manhattan and it's literally 99.3 miles to bear and back. It's a nice ride, way back is easier than going.

As far as staying somewhere cheap, Manhattan is tuff, it's pretty expensive everywhere. Have you considered staying in Queens? This would allow you to do one day over to Bear and one day out to Long Island.

From Queens, you could ride out to Little Neck Long Island (would be about around 10 miles give or take) and ride with the group that leaves at 8:30. Rides are typically 60 miles. They cover the northern part of Long Island.

I can give you more details and send you some gpx files of routes if you have a gps based comp.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You could take Metro North train from Grand Central to the Wassaic stop. 2 hours.
You'd need to bring your bike there's no rental at that stop.

There's a rail trail you could do. You could also get to the Berkshires and western Connecticut.
Beautiful scenery.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Taking the train out of town is an excellent idea, either to NJ or upstate equally good.

Renting a bike in the city is not common so I don't know where for that but look around.

This site has a lot of rides starting in the city going north. i suggest , if your looking for a real challenging route is to go to bear mountain and back, or better to New paltz and back.
GWB to Bear Mountain Bridge Loop on both sides of the River -- Route Map

main site address

Overview Map -- Index of Maps -- Bike Hudson Valley

1 - 8 of 8 Posts