Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day off yesterday, beautiful day. Going to be about 75 degrees right along the coast.

So I air up the Fuso fixie and don my "roadie" accoutrement and head out the door. South on the Santa Ana River Trail to PCH at the Newport Beach/Huntington Beach line. Right on PCH and up to Long Beach I go. Very little wind, spinning the 42-16 at about 18mph, feeling pretty good. Get passed by a few roadies on their carbon wonder wagons, but hey, I'm old and a lot slower.

Get up to Long Beach turn around and head back down the coast. There's a short little climb getting up to Seapoint and "Dog Beach." I crest the hill and hear the dreaded "psst-psst-psst". Stop and sure enough, the back tire is going flat. But the amazing part is the front one singing the duet. In all my years of riding I've had two flats on one ride but never, I repeat never, at exactly the same time. Bummer!

But, oh yes, I'm prepared. I always carry two spare tubes. Lucky for me where I stopped there are picnic tables and a nice grassy area on the bluff over the beach. I hoof it down there and proceed with the necessary repairs. Fix the back - no problem. Brand new tube. The tube for the front was previously patched so I put a little air in it. It held fine. Put that one in and started pumping the old Silca Impero. And "psssssttt." The patch let go. And of course, I have no patch kit. Why? I'm smart. I carry TWO tubes.

So now I'm stuck. It's at least three miles to Jax Bicycles in Huntington, about ten home, and I'm wearing cleated road shoes. Great! I start hobbling south. I'm thinking my only salvation will be to hitch a ride to Jax when coming towards me is a familiar figure on a bike.

Why it's Charlie! Now Charlie is an exceptional character. I first met him on a similar ride as he takes the same route to the coast. He also comes in our shop occasionally. He's an 80 year-old Scotsman with an accent so thick you think he's speaking another language. He also has a pacemaker. He was on his custom Simonetti.

He's raced bikes since he was a teen in Scotland, road and track, and has some great stories. Well, he recognized me, stopped, and became my salvation. He carries THREE tubes! I repeated the ritual and told Charlie if he followed me over to Jax, I'd replace his tube.

He was having none of that, said he was about to turn back home anyway and knowing I live right on the way, offered to ride with me in case of further disaster. Well, we had a very pleasant cruise home, Charlie talking all the way. I told him next time he's in the shop a couple of tubes are on me.

Day turned out pretty good after all.:D

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
I love a happy ending...

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Simultaneous airgasms!

!!!!!!!!!
Lesson learned -- patch kit takes up very little space.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.