Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Mdeth1313 said:
I've looked at their wheels and I always find their prices high for what you get, especially the weight of their wheelsets.
Compared too? I was under the impression that although not the cheapest ROL are one of the best values you be had. I have a set of Race SL and I'm thourally impressed.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Mdeth1313 said:
I've looked at their wheels and I always find their prices high for what you get, especially the weight of their wheelsets.
A rock-solid, 1550g wheelset for $600? That's a bargain. Race SLs should be considered the benchmark for a do everything wheel!

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
backinthesaddle said:
A rock-solid, 1550g wheelset for $600? That's a bargain. Race SLs should be considered the benchmark for a do everything wheel!

ok- you have your thoughts, I have mine. I don't think they're that great. I rode a set once- don't remember which ones, they didn't really do anything for me. Not bad, just not great either.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Mdeth1313 said:
ok- you have your thoughts, I have mine. I don't think they're that great. I rode a set once- don't remember which ones, they didn't really do anything for me. Not bad, just not great either.
So you 'rode a set once' and formed an opinion that all ROL products aren't that great? And of course, you don't remember which you rode? Sounds to me like you weren't paying attention, or that you didn't actually ride them.

Go try to build a set of wheels with Nio30 hoops, CX-Rays and a good set of hubs and see how much $ you end up spending. It won't be $600.

Please don't venture opinions on products if you don't have practical experience with the actual product. A 30 minute ride on ANYTHING isn't enough...

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
backinthesaddle said:
So you 'rode a set once' and formed an opinion that all ROL products aren't that great? And of course, you don't remember which you rode? Sounds to me like you weren't paying attention, or that you didn't actually ride them.

Go try to build a set of wheels with Nio30 hoops, CX-Rays and a good set of hubs and see how much $ you end up spending. It won't be $600.

Please don't venture opinions on products if you don't have practical experience with the actual product. A 30 minute ride on ANYTHING isn't enough...

So what's the big freaking deal-- you love them, I don't. Do you really think you're going to change my mind. I don't really care if you think they're the greatest things ever. Honestly, I've got an all carbon saddle that I think is the best saddle I've ever ridden on- you might not- do I care. Go ride your wheels. BTW, my ride on them was about 5 hours.

While you're at it-- why don't you tell me what best group is for shifting, because I might have that all screwed up too.

How about respecting other's opinions? Heck- some people think Ksyriums are the best thing going- not for me, but if it makes them happy- super terrific. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Mdeth1313 said:
So what's the big freaking deal-- you love them, I don't. Do you really think you're going to change my mind. I don't really care if you think they're the greatest things ever. Honestly, I've got an all carbon saddle that I think is the best saddle I've ever ridden on- you might not- do I care. Go ride your wheels. BTW, my ride on them was about 5 hours.

While you're at it-- why don't you tell me what best group is for shifting, because I might have that all screwed up too.

How about respecting other's opinions? Heck- some people think Ksyriums are the best thing going- not for me, but if it makes them happy- super terrific. :thumbsup:
Are you trying to convince me, or yourself? And I find it odd that you did a 5 hour ride on a set of wheels, but don't remember which set you were on...

Smelling like cow-pucky in here...

And I do respect the opinions of other posters concerning parts, if they have actually product knowledge. Too many folks like you have either zero product experience, or very limited experience, yet they will crap all over that product.

And it begs more questions...
What tires were on the wheels?
What tubes?
Pressure?

The issue might have been with any of these variables, or with you...

Funny that everyone who owns a ROL product loves it, but one troll, whose story is vague, at best, is doing his best to play zoo monkey.

·
Registered
890 Posts
backinthesaddle said:
I paid ~$700 for my Ni30s, CX-Rays, and White Ind hubs. 1390 grams and pretty damn solid.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
bwhite_4 said:
I paid ~$700 for my Ni30s, CX-Rays, and White Ind hubs. 1390 grams and pretty damn solid.

:p amen And, you can go w/ other hubs that weigh less than WI (although WI hubs are really nice), and cost less.

You work for Rol?
BTW- friend I ride w/ occasionally has more wheels than he can keep track of- asked me if I wanted to try something different. Like I said- wasn't that memorable.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
bwhite_4 said:
That's more than $600...

And yes, it's a damn solid wheelset. I'm a big fan of WI hubs. I have two sets rolling around and they're BUTTER!

My Race SLs weigh less than 1550, FWIW....

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
ph0enix said:
Are there any other RoL wheelsets besides what's currently listed on the website?
They can source and build a lot of things.
I know folks who have gotten DT Swiss hubs put into their wheelsets. Different spoke counts are easily had.
Call Sean and ask...
I've had several conversations with him about custom stuff.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Mdeth1313 said:
you do know that ROL makes a few different lines of wheels....

if you have no idea what you rode, maybe you were on the low level ones

it's sort of like test driving a 128i and saying that you test drove a BMW and the M5 must suck because one time you didn't like a 128i

if you didn't even pay attention enough to know what you're reviewing, then your review on them isn't really that valid.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
roscoe said:
you do know that ROL makes a few different lines of wheels....

if you have no idea what you rode, maybe you were on the low level ones

it's sort of like test driving a 128i and saying that you test drove a BMW and the M5 must suck because one time you didn't like a 128i

if you didn't even pay attention enough to know what you're reviewing, then your review on them isn't really that valid.

So, I called my buddy the other night, who was reading this thread and getting a kick out of it-- the ones I rode were the race sl. Funny thing, he doesn't ride them that much either (but he's got about 7 different wheelsets).

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mike
I think we are comparing 30mm rims with cxray spokes which are the most reasonably aero wheels you can get with out getting into more expensive carbon options. I know you are really pleased with your BWW race wheels, as they are cheap, reliable and lightweight. I don't think you can really discount aerodynamics though as that seems to have a larger effect on actually making you go faster (albiet only a smaller percentage faster), when comparing weight vs aerodynamics.
Joe

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
josephjcole said:
Mike
I think we are comparing 30mm rims with cxray spokes which are the most reasonably aero wheels you can get with out getting into more expensive carbon options. I know you are really pleased with your BWW race wheels, as they are cheap, reliable and lightweight. I don't think you can really discount aerodynamics though as that seems to have a larger effect on actually making you go faster (albiet only a smaller percentage faster), when comparing weight vs aerodynamics.
Joe
If the minuscule effects of 30mm rims versus a 24mm rim has got to factor into it then I guess the 30 wins every time, price being equal, which it isn't. I've no idea how the Average Person judges whether 6mm of rim depth for $250 (complete with 100 grams of wheel weight gain) is worth it or not.

I did two flat-out 30mile benchmark rides, two weeks apart on my 24mm deep set and my 30mm deep set (and 184 grams more weight) and my times were within one minute of each other (I don't measure seconds on my training rides). An anecdote at its finest eh? But then so is the Average Guy's opinion of the aerodynamics of 6mm of rim depth (and its extra weight).

I guess we should all do our homework and make our own choices.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts