Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd post a couple of images of two of my six bikes. Naturally there will be comments about spacers - there always are - but I try to ride as small a frame as possible (within reason) and use long stems and seat posts to compensate for the slightly shorter top tube.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Nice bikes. I don't get the whole deal with spacers. I understand what they do and why people have them, but why do others get all bent out of shape if someone has them?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Preference

I think it's a preference thing. It's only relatively recently that numerous spacers have been introduced widely throughout the industry, allowing people to ride frames that ordinarily would have been too small for them. But since Edwig van Hooydonk and later Eros Poli popularised the use of spacers (because of their extreme height) it's pretty much caught on. It's not to everyone's taste, but then nor are Colnagos and Pinarellos, are they? Each to his own I say and let your legs do the talking.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Man, what is the drop between saddle and bars? Looks like 6" from the pictures.

I'm glad you said there were two bikes, they look so much alike. Is the ride different between the two?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big difference

Midwestern, you have no idea how different the two bikes feel. Firstly the Specialized is a bastardised Langster ‘fixie’, which took me forever to get used to. That's what I ride to work everyday (90km round trip). I've just finished building up the Argon 18 and it's stupid light. I haven't put it on a scale yet, but I'm sure it won't compete with the really light toys you see on this site.
The feel of the bikes is the big difference though. They have different top tube lengths and different seat tube angles, which make them like chalk and cheese even though the saddle to bar length is identical.

·
Soul Mining
382 Posts
Midwestern Biker Dude said:
I'm glad you said there were two bikes, they look so much alike. Is the ride different between the two?

Strange. Aside from the fact they are both black and have the same saddle, they are very different bikes.

·
Registered
704 Posts
What's the deal on the spacers? I wish I could ride with as few!

Cool looking bikes both - the Aragon has a great balance between the mostly-black finish and those alloy Mavics and derailleurs. An ideal machine for sneaking menacingly around the front of the peleton until the last kilo ...

D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks.

gizzard said:
Midwestern, you have no idea how different the two bikes feel. Firstly the Specialized is a bastardised Langster ‘fixie’, which took me forever to get used to. That's what I ride to work everyday (90km round trip). I've just finished building up the Argon 18 and it's stupid light. I haven't put it on a scale yet, but I'm sure it won't compete with the really light toys you see on this site.
The feel of the bikes is the big difference though. They have different top tube lengths and different seat tube angles, which make them like chalk and cheese even though the saddle to bar length is identical.
Very nice. I keep forgetting to look for fixies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts