Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I jut got back from overseas, and I've saw LOTS of people riding with another seated the rear bike rack.

See these images to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

1 2 3

Coming back home, I tried to look for such a thing, but was stuck. It dosen't seem to exist. The closest thing I've seen is a regular bike rack rated at 55lbs. Am I missing something? It seems like I can remember in the good ol' days everyone seemed to be hitching a ride on the back of someone's bike.

Question is: Is there a product in the US that is made for such a task, if not, do you think the 55lb rack will hold an adult? Mind you, this will be for city biking, only on occasion & nothing extreme.

Also, before you mention it, tandem bikes and cart attachments are out of the question. The whole idea is for the bike to still be an everyday bike, while on occasion letting a friend hop on and ride down to the coffee shop.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Those links don't work for me, but I've seen a lot of folks using ExtraCycles for passengers, and those aren't that bad for daily use. They extend the wheelbase, but it's no tandem. I'm sure an aluminum rack would hold a small passenger for a quick lap around a parking lot, but might collapse or bend under repeated use.

Bobike has retailers in the US, and they make the Junior, which is a flip-up kid seat that folds flat into a rack when the kid isn't on it. Not sure what the weight limit is.

Beyond that, I'd just get a set of pegs for the back.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
It may not matter to you, but I suspect that in most if not all states that's illegal, except for a kid in a kid seat or a bike that's made for 2 and has 2 seats.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You need a Euro city bike, preferably Dutch or Danish. Workcycles is the top of my list. Asian knock-offs like Electra will usually not have as sturdy of frame for a second rider.

I am not aware of any state or city that makes this illegal except for some that require special protection for kids.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
"Rated" Okay, there's the first problem. I'm going to on a limb here and guess that, in a lot of your travels, you'll find people who aren't quite as obsessed with codes and ratings as here in the US. I'm sure one of our resident engineers can offer a guess as to what weight a rack/seat rated at 55 pounds would actually carry - once the safety buffer is surpassed.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I can't see the pic's either, but I spent summers in Germany as a deliquent youth and we usually hauled friends around on the package carrier's on the back of our bikes. Even one cheesy folding bikes (one of which I broke the back of with repeated bunny hopping). Nothing special about those bikes, and nothing safe or legal about it either. I'm sure we had police yell at us about it, but since we we're rolling and they were (usually) walking, there wasn't much they could do to stop it. I can still remember how the bike squirmed with the extra weight - the package carrier bending left and right, the overloaded tire squirming under the load..

View attachment 275826

Side-saddle style.. regular bike, note the nearly flat rear tire.

·
Registered
108 Posts
That is simply how it is done everywhere except here... once you travel out of the US you will notice that regular bicycles can carry incredible loads,( with out being high end) i spend time in Bombay (forget what they call it now) grew up in France and also lived in Asia, moppeds or bicycles if your butt fits its a go.
Then you come here in the US , everyone better whear a helmet, this is illegal, blah, blah , overprotection , all good though, after all we are not a 3rd World Country ..yet.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Riding with more passengers than the bike is designed for can be illegal.

I was on a jury a number of years ago in Hudson County, NJ involving a bike rider (the plantif) that got injured while carrying a passenger on the handlebars. A major reason we found for the defendant was that carrying the passenger was illegal (not intended for more than 1 occupant).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.