Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the driver still got a slap on the wrist.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I was looking at the pic and thinking to myself "how scary is that, looks like a wide, straight road with a nice shoulder." Then I read the second to last line "possession of a controlled dangerous substance" and it all made sense.

I'll bet he does time.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Cyclists are basically stray animals on the road to drivers.. rather unfortunate because I ride road most of the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Anyone else notice that five of the last ten threads in this forum involve a vehicle striking either a cyclist or pedestrian? Usually, fatally.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Very sad. Any lawyer types know what type of sentence an assault by auto convictions gets?
This case would be assault by auto in the third degree where serious bodily injury resulted from DWI. Each count carries a fine of up to $15000 and up to five years in jail.

Freehold NJ Assault By Auto Attorneys | N.J.S.A. 2C:12-1(c)

Possession of a controlled substance (not pot) can warrant 3-5 years in prison and a fine of $1000-25000.

Drug Possession Charges | Controlled Substance Laws in New Jersey

·
Grateful Ex-Clyde(-90lbs)
115 Posts
I was looking at the pic and thinking to myself "how scary is that, looks like a wide, straight road with a nice shoulder."
I've bicycled on Delsea Drive at least half-a-dozen times. (It's my favored "bicycle-highway" to my wife's Alma Mater, Rowan University. It certainly seems to be much safer than one of the alternatives, Berlin-Cross Keys Road. However, "safer" seems to be an increasingly relative term...)
Then I read the second to last line "possession of a controlled dangerous substance" and it all made sense.
But then, neither of the articles mention the offending driver being under the influence of said substance. Might not be the most responsible thing for me to do to speculate... but maybe he was prepping a hit as he was driving(?)
I'll bet he does time.
Hope you're right. Feel horrible over the senseless loss-- and this one really hits home, since I know I've traversed the same territory.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I've bicycled on Delsea Drive at least half-a-dozen times. (It's my favored "bicycle-highway" to my wife's Alma Mater, Rowan University. It certainly seems to be much safer than one of the alternatives, Berlin-Cross Keys Road. However, "safer" seems to be an increasingly relative term...)But then, neither of the articles mention the offending driver being under the influence of said substance. Might not be the most responsible thing for me to do to speculate... but maybe he was prepping a hit as he was driving(?)Hope you're right. Feel horrible over the senseless loss-- and this one really hits home, since I know I've traversed the same territory.
That the impact appears to have occurred on the driver's side makes this that much more terrifying. If he had drifted and clipped them from the right I'd be able to wrap my head around it a bit better, but this was so egregious it kind of reminded me of the awful incident in Michigan.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Are there vulnerable user laws in this area? That will largely impact the sentence - if they exist the driver may serve time - otherwise, it's probably just a traffic citation and whatever the penalty DUI carries.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts