Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) the race bible says "no neutral wheels. Wheels in/wheels out" I assume this means that if I want the option of having a wheel available should I flat, I have to provide it-does it usually mean that there is a neutral car carrying all these wheels? And i will have to sort though them to find mine?

2) I have campy 10 spd. How will a shimano 10 spd wheel work as my second wheel. I haven't found one to borrow yet or I would just try it.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Generally speaking they have a wheel pit before a race...you and others in your race can put spare wheels in the pit, then they will have a chase car (or two) that will carry the wheels in case somebody flats. The wheels are generally available to anybody in the race.

At the stage race I did this past weekend they did it by lottery, if your name was highlighted you were supposed to put wheels in the pit. If you didn't it was a $10.00 fine. At the same time they had two wheel cars...one that would stay with the lead pack and one that would follow the rest of the field.

In the event of a flat, you signal for the car, let them know if you need Shimano or Campy and they will pull one or the other...depending on what's in the car.

If I were running Campy, I would always put a rear wheel in the pit just in case.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
If you have Campy, ALWAYS put a rear wheel in.

Funny story. In 2001, I was in a somewhat major UCI race in China. The neutral support was provided by Shimano. I was in what would become the winning break, although fairly early on, with 3 other riders. I used Campy. I was on 10s which was somewhat new. Going up the main climb on the circuit, I broke a spoke and my rear wheel was hitting the chainstay and brakes. The Shimano car came up, slowed down, took one look at the Campy, and drove right around me to the other 3 riders. Granted, it was 9s but I am sure that I could have found at least one gear that worked. Anyways, I was the best, actually the only, sprinter in the break and I was pissed. The other three riders stayed away and won the race. I still don't have Shimano on my bike, although it's not because I am holding a grudge. Well, maybe a little...

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,425 Posts
If you are talking about a road race, there are not many people who can catch back on after a flat. (unless thay are just poking along, or unless you can wind it up to a speed that's 5 mph more than the pack, for a few miles. It happens, but usually in a 1-2 race)

·
Registered
247 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
If you are talking about a road race, there are not many people who can catch back on after a flat. (unless thay are just poking along, or unless you can wind it up to a speed that's 5 mph more than the pack, for a few miles. It happens, but usually in a 1-2 race)
That's exactly my logic. I just wrap a CO2, a tube, and a couple of levers in a sandwich bag, and drop it in my pocket. Simpler a approach and less crap to take to a race. Notable excpetion might be a stage race with time cuts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sounds like the wording in the Tour of Walla Walla race bible?

It means that there will be a follow car with wheels. If you put wheels in, you can get YOUR wheels out if you flat. If you did not put wheels in, you get nothing.

Since you are asking this question, I am guessing you are in one of the lower cats? If you flat, you're done for that race (unless you have a strong team to pull you back). Honestly, I put a spare wheelset in, but would be just as well off to put a spare tube and supplies in the back pocket.

Don't worry too much about it.

BTW- I wonder if you could just give the follow car a saddle bag with supplies.......

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I'll be, it is the wording for the tofww. Nice work. I am a cat 5 and have pretty much decided to just carry my tube like I did last year.

Thanks for all the replies.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,425 Posts
"2) I have campy 10 spd. How will a shimano 10 spd wheel work as my second wheel. I haven't found one to borrow yet or I would just try it."

It will "kinda" work. Some gears will be noisy as hell, but still work. Some gears won't work at all, and some gears will work just fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts