Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps this is more a philosophical question, but I'll ask anyway...

I've got Madone 4.5 that was a huge upgrade from an old 28 pound Trek 420. That was sold, so I've been thinking about picking up something else and a Neuvation F100 caught my eye. I'm not entirely sure I was to go 'back' to aluminum, but at the same time I like that it'll be durable, I can get it with Ultegra components and upgraded wheels for $1500, and it's got an under-the-radar (aka ugly) look.

The idea would be to use the second bike when it's wet out, or when I'm traveling to ride. I'm not sure I'd want to go through the trouble of swapping all the Ultegra components onto the Madone, but it's a possibility I suppose.

So the question is: 2 good bikes for slightly different things, or should I just ride the Trek for a year or two, sell it and splash out on something at the higher end of the spectrum.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
My vote is two bikes... use the other as rain bike/travel bike/commuter/etc.... It's also nice to have a backup just in case something happens to your main ride....
Ah Hickey. From the man with quite a few more than just two bikes.

I vote for mulitple bikes as well.
I commute, on my way out last week I noticed that I had a flat on my main commuter.
Was running late so I did not want to mess with changing the tube. Just grabbed another bike.

Trek 420 was my first road bike. It was stolen. I sure wish I still had it.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Yep, +1 for backup bikes. You won't "need" it often but when you do you'll be thankful. Also you have a buddy bike to get friends interested.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I like the idea of two bikes but I'd spend a lot less than $1500 for a rain bike. I probably wouldn't buy Ultegra for that purpose either. Not that it won't take it but 105 would take it as well for less and with the conditions and goals you'd be using a rain bike for I don't think you're benefit from the advantages of Ultegra.
It would be different if you were getting a nicer bike and keeping an older one but I'm not sure spending $1500 to aquire a rain bike makes a lot of sense. I'd put the real money into the top bike and get whatever for a backup.

Don't get me wrong I'm not one of these jokers who cares how strangers on the web spend their money and if that's what you'd like for a beater more power to you but just something to think about.

If getting something better than the Trek and having a backup bike is your ultimate goal personally I'd suck it up for a while riding just the Trek and when you can get something better, keep it for your back up. If you know you're eventually upgrading anyway you probably won't feel bad about using it as both a go to and back up (rain) starting now anyway.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
pigpen said:
Ah Hickey. From the man with quite a few more than just two bikes.

I vote for mulitple bikes as well.
I commute, on my way out last week I noticed that I had a flat on my main commuter.
Was running late so I did not want to mess with changing the tube. Just grabbed another bike.

Trek 420 was my first road bike. It was stolen. I sure wish I still had it.

Yeah.. I was trying to avoid telling him he needed 10 or 12 bikes...

Funny thing about backup bikes....they quickly become favorites.....

I have a lot of nice bikes....if I had to narrow down to just two...I'd keep one nice bike and the other would be the multi-purpose rain/commuter/winter bike

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It wouldn't just be for rain. I'd be looking to more or less split miles between it and the Trek and use it for group rides when I'm traveling (i.e. when I need to stick it on the bike rack).

I'd be happy with 105 components but Neuvation doesn't offer them. The Sram Rival is cheaper than the Ultegra group, but I'd prefer to stick with Shimano components at this point.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
heffergm said:
It wouldn't just be for rain. I'd be looking to more or less split miles between it and the Trek and use it for group rides when I'm traveling (i.e. when I need to stick it on the bike rack).
I don't see the point then. Having one bike to care for and one you can beat on or two that serve a different purpose I understand. Two bikes for the sake of having two instead of 1 I'm not seeing the point.
I suppose you'd be all set if you crash one and/or have to leave it in the shop for a few days.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fair point. Here's what I'm getting at... when I need to ride the "beater" I don't want to ride a big steaming pile of junk. I want it to be at least vaguely similar so it's not like hopping out of the Porsche and into the Aztek. The idea is to have a 'good' quality second bike that takes the abuse of rain and doesn't attract much attention.

I'm happy to find something used, but to be honest after scouring eBay and the like I don't see much point. I'm amazed at what older carbon frame bikes still sell for, let alone anything with a brand name on it regardless of the frame. I'd just assume go the Neuvation route (possibly with Sram Rival simply to drop the price even more).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heck, I'd even go with Sram Apex... $1150 ain't bad for the F100, and I've heard good things about the Apex.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yikes... went to the LBS to get a pump and they've got an 09 Roubaix for $1299. Works out cheaper than the alloy Neuvation. I feel like I need to buy it just on principle... $1299 for a Roubaix! LOL

If I can talk them into eating the tax I might just do it...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live in New England... it rains. Even if I avoid riding when it's actually raining, the roads are wet a lot which makes the bike a mess in any case. I don't necessarily enjoy it, but I have limited riding time and the weather is the last thing I feel like dictating my seat time.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Erion929 said:
You guys ride in the rain on purpose? :confused: Or is that a commuter thing?

I don't sit around saying "well I could go today but it's supposed to rain tomorrow so I'll wait" if that's what you're thinking but it's either take a chance you might get hit with a shower or not ride at all some days and as long as it's not freezing too I'd rather get a little wet than do nothing. And as said wet roads falls under 'rain bike duty' and I'm not about to cancal a morning ride because it rained overnight.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Ok, got it.

Somehow a "beater" $1300-1400 bike still seems wasteful....I mean, you still gotta clean it, no? Why not ride the #1 bike and clean that? It's not like it racks up mileage or gets dented, like a motorcycle or a car.

I think I'd ride the Madone ragged and then when THAT one gets old, buy a new #1 :idea:

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Buy it...you'll be :) and thus begins the treadmill for specific use bikes. :D We all start somewhere. I have 3 in my usual rotation.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Five bikes at the moment: road, tt/tri, radically light road (under constr), a heavy old beater and mtn... Plus probably enough bare frames and spare parts hanging around or in boxes to build up another bike or two.

...and I've been thinking I'd also like to have a nice 'cross bike, too. Or maybe a tourer.

Or both. :cool:

p.s. I'm in No. California.... what's "rain"?

·
What the what???
12,711 Posts
+1 on the backup bike. I own two. My first bike is now my commuter. My second is now my evening/weekend outing ride. But it's nice to know if one is out of commission I can still ride. Is there anything more sad than having time, inclination and perfect weather but no bike?

·
Converted Runner
691 Posts
Yeah I keep two bikes. But they are worlds apart. One is a fifteen year old steel Giant with biopace rings and exage friction/index (has the option to switch between the two for the RD) shifters mounted at the bar/stem junction. The other is a 2007 system six (bought it new this year) with Ultegra. The Giant is my commuter/errands bike while the system is my training/racing bike. I don't really have a "rain bike", because if it rains on my commute I'm using the Giant anyway, and if it rains when I'm training I'm already out on my Cannondale. I don't intentionally ride in the rain. That's what running and/or trainers/rollers are for!

But then again I just finished graduate school so I haven't had much time to let money accumulate in my bank account. As a result I'm still living my life as a "poor student" in an attempt to make my bank accounts grow rapidly. Take these words for what they're worth.

Opus51569 said:
Is there anything more sad than having time, inclination and perfect weather but no bike?
I can safely say "no" to this! I was without a real ride for 11 months after crashing and breaking my carbon bike last August. I guess this would be the best argument for two passable road bikes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts