Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bike I want to use for racing, It came with some heavy wheels, 1,900-2,000 grams per pair, or close. I want to get something a bit lighter.I'm not going to win anything, so it doesn't matter that much. The wheels I am leaning toward now are Easton EA-90 at performance, looks like a closeout of an older model, for $499. Or Shimano RS80 at Ribble, for $419 not including shipping. Right now, performance seems to have free shipping for orders over $150. Both are close in weight, aluminum clinchers. Shimano has some kind of aluminum/carbon combination construction. Nothing I stay up at night worrying over, just wanting some informed opinions.I could also be happy with open pro/ultegra wheels.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the RS-80 wheels on my trainer right now. Solid wheel good price to weight. How much do you weigh? The rs80 are 16/20 spoke.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PBrooks said:
I have the RS-80 wheels on my trainer right now. Solid wheel good price to weight. How much do you weigh? The rs80 are 16/20 spoke.
I weigh about 155 lbs

·
Registered
891 Posts
Out of those choices, I would go with the RS-80 wheels. Open Pro/Ultegra or similar wheels (I like the DT Swiss RR465 rim much better) will be a solid wheelset that will last a very long time, but it isn't as good for racing.

If you want a lower cost option you can go custom with Kinlin 27mm or 30mm rims 20f/24r spokes with Novatec hubs for a nice race wheelset.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
Here is the best value for cost versus weight. You can lose just over a pound in weight (500+grams), from your current wheels, with these which is massive and will be noticed. They're from this forum's sponsor (their ad's at the top right ) and they help keep the lights on in this forum.

1500g (tops) wheels for $330 and they do it with lots of spokes (24/28) too for strength - Blackset Race Eleven. You can easily spend much more for heavier wheels if you don't do your homework.

They will be great general purpose or race wheels for someone your weight (they are for me and I weigh 20lbs more than you) and use normal spokes (meaning - easily available and inexpensive).

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
Get the Shimano RS80s. These are better than the BWWs. MikeT how much do you get paid pushing BWW? Good grief.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
mimason said:
Get the Shimano RS80s. These are better than the BWWs. MikeT how much do you get paid pushing BWW? Good grief.
You can do better than this mason. Try harder. What's to love about wheels that are -

Heavier.
More money.
Proprietary spokes.
16/20 of them.

- compared to the ones I listed? Just providing an educated opinion to the poster while promoting a forum sponsor.

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
mimason said:
Easy there Mimason. Mike would know best considering that he probably has more riding experience than everyone one this forum. Additionally, why go for the RS80? Is it because it looks like a carbon hoop even though it isnt? Cause that would make OP much cooler :thumbsup:

Oh and additionally, would you like to explain your point about why to pick the RS80s or is the faux-carbon enough?

·
Höchstgeschwindigkeit
1,378 Posts
Fair enough. I take it back and apologize.

Shimanos have no weight limit to my knowledge and the OP is only 155 lbs. These wheels should be a great option for his needs and the Ribble price is great plus Shimano has a 3 yr warranty.
I am sure BWW are nice wheels but they are brought up religiously and unsolicited. There is nothing wrong with suggesting them from time to time but let's answer the OPs questions and not go on a tangent and not even discuss the Eastons or Shimanos.

best regards

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
two isssues

i hear the rs 80's are shytty wheels. google them here and you will not find positive reviews. ultegra and up you got my attention. anything lower i think i can do better than shim..

two, and although i highly recommend easton at just about every turn, the one problem i have evar heard reported about them related the aero 90's from performance. dude said they busted a couple of spokes and then easton gave him a hard time. ehh. not for nuthin...

just so you know i run the easton 70 (circuits) on a specialized e-5 frame, and the easton 90 sl's on a felt aluminum frame with carbon fork post and stays, i swapped out stock wheels on both my road bikes. for the three bucks i paid for the 70's they are without peer, best wheels pound for pound anywhere anytime. like on the planet. not super super light,but top performers, i always recommend the 70's for an upgrade.

to a racer with six or seven bucks i would say go with the 90's. the 90 sl's, that is. they are light, strong, and fast. race ready. hope the advice doesnt go too counter to the op's question. having talked shyt about the aero's, but being a fan of easton, personally? i would buy them. if i needed another pair of wheels right now, in fact, i'd probably snag the aero 90's at performance, five bucks is cheap, they are worth more like eight, at least, maybe more. in the interests of fairness i cite the example, the one time i EVAR heard a bad thing about the actual wheels. personally i get past the criticism, but just so you know...

·
Registered
2,745 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Hank Stamper said:
easyridernyc said:
two isssues

i hear the rs 80's are shytty wheels. google them here and you will not find positive reviews. ultegra and up you got my attention. anything lower i think i can do better than shim..

QUOTE]

Huh? http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheels/wheelsets/shimano/PRD_441877_2490crx.aspx

And they are Ultegra wheels.

You must be thinking of RS10's. Those do suck. These don't.
Easyridernyc- I usually agree with you but my understanding is that the RS80s fall between the Ultegra and Dura Ace wheelsets. In fact, I was told that they are essentially a hybrid Ultegra/Dura Ace wheels. That being said, they must be pretty good wheels.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Can I throw in the suggestion of a set of Pro-Lite Bracciano wheels? I recently bought a set and I'm very impressed with them. They cost me £190 from Ribble and weight 1497 with rim tape and are so good my Easton EA50sl have been sold and my Tune wheelset are sitting in a box gathering dust. A couple of mates couldn't believe how much they cost and as a final bonus they look fantastic!

I weigh 190 and after a couple of hundred british-road miles they are still true and roll and roll and roll...

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've been looking at the RS80's for my wife. I have the Dura-Ace version of these and have really been pleased with them. Chainreactioncycles.com has them for $463 with free shipping....

·
Registered
211 Posts
i just got a set of RS80's from chain reaction

shipped from them to California in less than a week. Arrived in perfect shape. Quiet and weight quoted is the real weight. I weighed on my Park digital scale and they came out at 1640 with strips and skewers. I considered Black Set Race based on price, weight, and local. Seems as if the there is a lot of uncertainty about BWW quoting the real weight of what they are selling. In the end, I chose the RS80's because I thought the Shimano quality would be better. It is kinda cool that on these wheels, none of the spokes touch each other. Not sure what that does for the ride...I do have concern about the proprietary spokes.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
terbennett said:
Hank Stamper said:
Easyridernyc- I usually agree with you but my understanding is that the RS80s fall between the Ultegra and Dura Ace wheelsets. In fact, I was told that they are essentially a hybrid Ultegra/Dura Ace wheels. That being said, they must be pretty good wheels.
yeah was probably thinking the tens my head's been up my butt for a couple days now...gotta get a ride in my brain is really phuckin slowin down

they look pretty solid wit the reviews and at chainreaction...lemme look again. thx

1 - 19 of 19 Posts