Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
It's so well-known, it was on an episode of House. However, for Hamilton, it came across a a Hail Mary.

· Registered
1,808 Posts
The assumption is widespread, but I don't believe Hamilton ever claimed he had a vanishing twin. I only dimly recall his claim, but it was something to the effect that the test in use had not been validated with respect to known causes of false positives, including the vanishing twin scenario. Doesn't really matter anymore, of course, though there would be a benefit if that old joke (not made in this thread) was retired.

· Ya, what ATP said...!
2,170 Posts
This is correct and is the only thing I'll ever defend Hamilton for. He never made the claim. The USADA listed 4 reasons why a person would exhibit humologous blood results and chimerism (the vanishing twin) was one of them. The other three were a current pregnancy, past pregnancy and an infusion of someone else's blood. His initial claim was that he received blood for a dental procedure but he could not produce documents in support of it. After that, he went after the test itself, claiming that "we know it when we see it" was not a good enough explanation to fail him.

harlond said:
The assumption is widespread, but I don't believe Hamilton ever claimed he had a vanishing twin. I only dimly recall his claim, but it was something to the effect that the test in use had not been validated with respect to known causes of false positives, including the vanishing twin scenario. Doesn't really matter anymore, of course, though there would be a benefit if that old joke (not made in this thread) was retired.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.