Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading this entry on Tyler Hamilton at Wikipedia.

Hamilton is now banned from competition until September 22, 2006, two years from the date his "B" sample taken in the Vuelta a España was found to be positive. Although current UCI ProTour rules would have effectively doubled the period of his suspension (until September 22, 2008), his positive test occurred before those rules were put into effect in 2005.
Now I know Wikipedia isn't exactly the most accurate of sources, so I ask here; is Tyler Hamilton able to race next year? I could have sworn that he is subject to the additional two year ban from ProTour teams. I'd love to see him race again (and I think he did it too).

Also, it seems like just yesterday this happened. I can't believe we're approaching two years already.

· Registered
450 Posts
Th

Einstruzende said:
I was just reading this entry on Tyler Hamilton at Wikipedia.

Now I know Wikipedia isn't exactly the most accurate of sources, so I ask here; is Tyler Hamilton able to race next year? I could have sworn that he is subject to the additional two year ban from ProTour teams. I'd love to see him race again (and I think he did it too).

Also, it seems like just yesterday this happened. I can't believe we're approaching two years already.
His ban is for two years from whenever he started his self-imposed hiatus from racing (as stated in his verdict). Not sure what the date is exactly, but it was during the Vuelta.

He is eligible to race this season.

His violation came before inception of the pro-tour 2-year added penalty so he is eligible to ride for a pro-tour team at the end of his 2 year ban.

· Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
Cnn couple of months ago..

I saw the crawl on CNN in March? Where is said anyone in a race with Tyler may be subject to suspension. I only saw it one night and no one commented on it here. I never went to cyclingnews to check into it. It seemed kind of overkill.

· For president!
7,851 Posts
cydswipe said:
I saw the crawl on CNN in March? Where is said anyone in a race with Tyler may be subject to suspension. I only saw it one night and no one commented on it here. I never went to cyclingnews to check into it. It seemed kind of overkill.
This had to do with the Stazio Crit Series in Boulder. Unsanctioned race, so pros were not supposed to race in it, and especially not with suspended pros. May have gotten a mention here...

I believe the OP is correct that he will be back racing this year at the end of the Vuelta. Don't be surprised to see him doing the TT at worlds...

Silas

4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it sounds like it's true then. When do you think we'll hear an announcement about a team signing him? Surely someone would want him. We've known about David Millar's future for months now.

· Registered
2,699 Posts
Einstruzende said:
Well it sounds like it's true then. When do you think we'll hear an announcement about a team signing him? Surely someone would want him. We've known about David Millar's future for months now.
Difference is Millar admitted his guilt, accepted his punishment (other than appealing the start date), whereas TH has denied all the way and still denies his guilt.

Whilst bad publicity is still publicity, no sponsor is going to want to be associated with an unrepentant convicted doper this soon. Millar was just as guilty of doping but put his hands up and disappeared for most of his suspension. Therefore he is less likely to attract overtly negative media attention.

As far as I can remember the only negative response Millar received was from Cycling Weekly. Only cyclists read it. The papers in Europe and the UK were pretty evenhanded. TH is less likely to get a smooth ride in the mainstream press in Europe due to his stance on his case. Most Pro Tour teams are European based and cycling is like gridiron to the man in the street. Consequently image matters a lot more than it would to a US based sponsor.

Maybe Discovery will have him back?

· jaded bitter joy crusher
19,754 Posts
Asiago said:
His ban is for two years from whenever he started his self-imposed hiatus from racing (as stated in his verdict). Not sure what the date is exactly, but it was during the Vuelta..
Can't we count Mt Washington and Stazio as races? That would keep Tyler out of trouble until 2008.

· Registered
2,514 Posts
Phonak already said they had no place for him after his appeal was tossed out by CAS. Technically I believe the 4 year ProTour ban isn't part of the UCI rules but part of the ProTour teams' ethical code that they agreed to in joining, so I think it's an area where teams wouldn't want to stick their necks out with somebody like TH for fear of bad publicity and bad relations with other teams.

4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
terzo rene said:
Phonak already said they had no place for him after his appeal was tossed out by CAS. Technically I believe the 4 year ProTour ban isn't part of the UCI rules but part of the ProTour teams' ethical code that they agreed to in joining, so I think it's an area where teams wouldn't want to stick their necks out with somebody like TH for fear of bad publicity and bad relations with other teams.
A protour team didn't have a problem grabbing Millar. And he was suspended same years has Hamilton (albiet much earlier in the year).

4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interestingly enough, someone posted a link to a Q/A section on Hamilton's website, and it looks like he is indeed able to race this coming September. He evens metions the Worlds Road Race as his first race.

Ideally, I’d like to race starting at the World Championships. The road race is one day after I’m cleared to race. Unfortunately, the time trial is a day before my suspension ends, so I will miss that. It would have been great to start back with the World Championship time trial, but that’s not in the cards. At this point, it looks as though the mainstay of my season will consist largely of motorpacing.

· Registered
2,699 Posts
Einstruzende said:
A protour team didn't have a problem grabbing Millar. And he was suspended same years has Hamilton (albiet much earlier in the year).
Note the difference

Millar
  • Get caught
  • Have evidence presented
  • Admit guilt
  • Remove self from circulation
  • Appeal sentence & start of sentence
  • Apologise for cheating
  • Wait decent time before making noises about comeback
  • Not race at all
Hamilton

• Get warned
  • Carry on
  • Get warned again
  • Tone it down a bit
  • Get caught
  • Get off due to cock up
  • Get caught again
  • Deny
  • Present several explanations
  • Deny
  • Deny
  • Appeal
  • Lose Appeal
  • Race Mt Washington
  • Race Stazio
  • Deny
Very different approaches to similar offences.

Millar didn't actually fail a test at all.

Millar was caught with paraphenalia in his flat, Hamilton had the evidence in his blood.

I for one would like to see his ban end a few days earlier so he could ride the TT champs and fail miserably. I truly hope he never wins another race until he stops insulting my intelligence and admits he cheated.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Cyclists get off way easier than say Pete Rose has. :mad:

ultimobici said:
Note the difference

Millar
  • Get caught
  • Have evidence presented
  • Admit guilt
  • Remove self from circulation
  • Appeal sentence & start of sentence
  • Apologise for cheating
  • Wait decent time before making noises about comeback
  • Not race at all
Hamilton

• Get warned
  • Carry on
  • Get warned again
  • Tone it down a bit
  • Get caught
  • Get off due to cock up
  • Get caught again
  • Deny
  • Present several explanations
  • Deny
  • Deny
  • Appeal
  • Lose Appeal
  • Race Mt Washington
  • Race Stazio
  • Deny
Very different approaches to similar offences.

Millar didn't actually fail a test at all.

Millar was caught with paraphenalia in his flat, Hamilton had the evidence in his blood.

I for one would like to see his ban end a few days earlier so he could ride the TT champs and fail miserably. I truly hope he never wins another race until he stops insulting my intelligence and admits he cheated.

· jaded bitter joy crusher
19,754 Posts
bas said:
But nowhere nearly as easy as Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, or José "here's the point I want to emphasize: what happens to your testes has nothing to do with any shrinking of the penis" Canseco.

· Registered
2,699 Posts
bas said:
Didn't he gamble on his own team whilst managing them and accept a ban for doing so? We only have his word that he bet for and not against them.

The only reason that Football, Baseball and American Football aren't as vilified is that they don't test anywhere near as much and positives are hushed up. Cycling has been more overt in it's admissions that there is a problem than any of those sports.

American football has had steroid abuse for decades as has baseball. But there is so much money involved that the anti doping authorities have been ignored.

In Britain any mention of cycling is accompanied by a dope reference. Football is never questioned.

In cycling they test randomly and without warning, if you aren't where you say you'll be it's an automatic positive. In football it's by appointment. If you miss it inspite of reminders you get a ban measured in single digit months.

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
bas said:
That's a stretch, comparing how the UCI deals with cyclists who dope, and how MLB deals with bb players/coaches who gamble.

I have no problem never having to see Pete Rose back in the game. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.