Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,512 Posts
I hit 43 once, going down a 5% hill, pedaling hard as I could, arms, knees, chin, ears and everything else pulled in as far as I could get them. I'm starting to doubt my dream of turning pro by the time I'm 52.

· Registered
1,611 Posts
That 176 cadence is sick.

My thinking on top ProTour speeds in a sprint where there's a lead-out train is the train is pulling at 35 to 37 mph (assuming no tailwind or downhill, of course) to control flyers, etc. and then the sprinters launch and duel it out over the last 200 meters at top speed around 40 to 42 mph. There was a thread about this on this forum during last year's TdF.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
asgelle said:
If the SRM works like the Power Tap, high cadence numbers are easy to get by moving the feet up and down with the magnet near the sensor. The switch reads each up/down as a full revolution giving greatly exaggerated rpm's.
Yea I doubt he's doing that in a sprint.

FWIW I believe the SRM "makes a calculated guess" at cadence. Maybe it's another PM i'm thinking of though.

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
176 ain't sick actually coz honestly, it's very possible to spin at that for a very short while on a lower gear.

And in a sprint, given the speed he went at, it's not too far off perhaps. Add that to the easy to get a high cadence by moving up and down, there you go - 176

· limit screwed
807 Posts
This was a downhill sprint, and Henderson's a fairly accomplished track rider, so he's used to sitting down and spinning his legs very, very fast.

I remember McEwen hitting 79 km/h on the opening crit for the Tour Down Under 2(?) years ago, with the benefit of a tailwind.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My money says that the 176rpm number is indeed bogus.

Just do the math - I suppose you have to guess at his gearing. Let's say he's in a 54x11. That puts him in the neightborhood of 128 rpm. Pretty reasonable.

If he were actually doing 176rpm at that speed, he'd be in a 54x15. I think that is unlikely.

Some trackie please chime in - is 176 rpm anywhere near realistic? I know I'm pretty nervous on my fixie at anything approaching 150 rpm, but that's just me...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.