Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when changing a flat today i fixed it, put the tyre back on the rim and pumped it up. The tyre had a bulge in it- not on the side but where the tread is. Everytime the wheel goes round you can feel it. This happened about 1 month ago and i tried and tired to get rid of it but it wouldn't go away in the end i got a new tyre that went on fine. I don't no what is causing this- the tire is a conti gatorskin and has plenty more life left in it and i don't want to replace it when i don't have to. Any ideas? is it the tyre?

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Try talc

hammrob said:
when changing a flat today i fixed it, put the tyre back on the rim and pumped it up. The tyre had a bulge in it- not on the side but where the tread is. Everytime the wheel goes round you can feel it. This happened about 1 month ago and i tried and tired to get rid of it but it wouldn't go away in the end i got a new tyre that went on fine. I don't no what is causing this- the tire is a conti gatorskin and has plenty more life left in it and i don't want to replace it when i don't have to. Any ideas? is it the tyre?
As andulong said, it is either a tube caught under the tire bead (and soon to blow out) or the tire not being seating properly in the rim. You can easily see if it is a rim seating problem by spinning the wheel slowly while looking at the tire right where it contacts the rim (watch both sides). You will see a spot where the tire bobs up and down as the wheel turns.

To fix the problem, deflate the tire and apply some talcum powder all the way around the tire on both sides so that both the rim and tire have a light dusting on them. Then, when you pump the tire to full pressure, it should snap right into place. If it doesn't, deflate to a fairly soft pressure and work the tire back and forth with your hands to get it to seat. You can use this technique for repairs out on the road as well.

· Registered
797 Posts
And if that don't get it, try rotating the tire a quarter turn on the wheel... You may have to move it more than once. It often helps car tires that are a little out of round.

THere is also the posibulity that the cords have seperated, in which case the tire is done.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks kerry, put baby powder all over the inside of the rim and on the edge of the tyre, still didn't work but kept moving it and pulled it with the tyre lever and then it poped into place.

· Larry Lackapants
698 Posts
Hmm I got this on my vredestein fortezza rear.. It's a cheap tyre but I might be good off by checking for a twisted tube.. Until now I still think the tyre is simply crap. Cant' feel it at more than 25 km/h though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.