Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Tire pressure is relative to your weight.
I weight about 200lb and inflate my tires 105-110lbs.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Optomrider said:
Thanks Immerle

I'm about 135lb, what would you suggest?
Geez, I dunno.
I experimented.
You could do the same.

Just last week someone posted a link to a chart, but I can't find the thread.
Otherwise, take a look a SB.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
If you ride on pretty good roads and avoid potholes, I'd start at 90 front, 100 rear. Lower pressure will give you a better ride, more secure cornering, etc, but you want pressure high enough to avoid pinch flats.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
frank418 said:
the sidewall of the tire will tell you the max air pressure
True, but irrelevant. The maximum pressure permitted by most tires is much, much higher than you would usually want to run for best performance. Many road tires will handle 140 psi or even more, but nobody needs or can benefit from such pressures except in unusual circumstances (e.g., racing on a smooth board track).

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
why?

darkest_fugue said:
ive got good roads here and ride in hot weather, i have my tires as hard as i can get them
????????

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Yeah, could be so.

frank418 said:
sorry all I weight around 210 lbs if I dont put in that much air in my tires my rims are on the ground !
See discussions above about pinch flats.

But there's a solution that works better: use bigger tires.

·
Registered
642 Posts
frank418 said:
sorry all I weight around 210 lbs if I dont put in that much air in my tires my rims are on the ground !
I'm in the same weight class, the roads around me suck and I didn't need to pump 700x23 past 110-115.
I now convinced that I got business on 23s and got a pair of 25s.
According to Peter White, I have to business on those either.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Feelings

darkest_fugue said:
the roads are very hot here, if i run lower pressures the tire actually feels like its sticking to the road, its not a feeling i like
Independent testing by Bicycle Quarterly and MAVIC both demonstrate that rider feelings are not a reliable predictor of much. If you are saying that your tires are sinking into the hot pavement, then higher pressure is pretty much the opposite of what you need, because that decreases the size of the contact patch and your tire will sink in even more.

For any given rider weight, you should inflate your tires so that you don't get pinch flats. If you have to go over 110 psi to prevent pinch flats, then get wider tires.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts