Registered
14,713 Posts
Do I hear 32?

32, anyone?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What an utter cock! The question is legitimate to me as I am asking for help in a beginner's section. You can be bothered to reply twice on this thread yet you cant make a helpful comment in either one.
Quite right though. Far from offending you for breaching forum search protocols I'll ask elsewhere.

·
Registered
23,021 Posts
What an utter cock! The question is legitimate to me as I am asking for help in a beginner's section. You can be bothered to reply twice on this thread yet you cant make a helpful comment in either one.
Quite right though. Far from offending you for breaching forum search protocols I'll ask elsewhere.
Do you want help or do you want to continue whining and being obtuse?

See above.. "Depends, rider, rim, road, etc." You provided no info and YOU want helpful comments? :rolleyes:
I also provided you with a link to DOZENS of tire width threads. Far more helpful than your "... 23 or 25?" question.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,100 Posts
What type of road do you usually ride on? How heavy are you? Do you race? What is your normal riding distance, eg: last 10 rides? How long have you been riding? What bike are you using? How long have you owned the bike for? Pictures? What type of rim do you use?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What type of road do you usually ride on? How heavy are you? Do you race? What is your normal riding distance, eg: last 10 rides? How long have you been riding? What bike are you using? How long have you owned the bike for? Pictures? What type of rim do you use?

The bike is a new build after a long return to a healthy knee. Have been used to 29er mountain bikes so completely green to road bikes.

Riding distance will be all day tours, 50k plus and training back to cycling fitness. No racing for the foreseeable but who knows once strength returns
Weight 14stones.
Bike Enigma titanium Esprit frame. Wheels H Plus Son Archetype Alloy rims 23mm profile.
Still being built.
Roads. Pretty level, good surface. Few hills, nothing mountainous.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
14 stone. you're not a small fellow, though not a giant one, either. At least 25mm tires, I'd recommend. Should be adequate if you're a "soft" rider who watches for road surface irregularities. If you tend to blast through the pebbles and cracks, or you expect to do group rides, you might consider 28s if they'll fit.

Not 23. At your weight you'd want to run them at 110 psi or higher to avoid pinch flats, and that would make a hard ride.

·
Registered
23,021 Posts
14 stone. you're not a small fellow, though not a giant one, either. At least 25mm tires, I'd recommend. Should be adequate if you're a "soft" rider who watches for road surface irregularities. If you tend to blast through the pebbles and cracks, or you expect to do group rides, you might consider 28s if they'll fit.
^^^^ Post #2

*pats self on back* Am I good or what? :D

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
A 28mm road tire? Holy crap, I didn't know they came the large. How many road bike setups will accept a tire that big?

I've rode on two different types of 23mm and one 25mm. The 25 offered a great ride and did will supporting my heavy brother in law (he easily weighs 240+). Me? I'm 170-175 lbs so I guess I can ride smaller.

But...to elaborate on my first post...of the two 23mm I have used (Specialized and continental)...the Conti offers a MUCH better ride and "feels" more like the 25mm. So thus my statement of not all tires being the same and not simply being able to use width as a gauge of ride quality/handling.

·
Registered
23,021 Posts
A 28mm road tire? Holy crap, I didn't know they came the large.
Where do you shop for your tires that they only come up to 25? You can get road tires all the way up to 47c.
Michelin City Reflective Strip Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

28's will fit most bikes except for the most narrowest chainstays. I've run 28's to do a gravel trail ride on my road bike. My chainstays are pretty narrow and I could probably go up to 30 and still have clearance.

But...to elaborate on my first post...of the two 23mm I have used (Specialized and continental)...the Conti offers a MUCH better ride and "feels" more like the 25mm. So thus my statement of not all tires being the same and not simply being able to use width as a gauge of ride quality/handling.
This is a good point. 25 isn't automatically better than 23. A quality supple 23 will be better than a stiff crappy 25.

If you were to ride the 25 version of the 23 Conti you like, you'd get an evern better feel.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.