Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah, I thought I had mis-read the headline also. But apparently, it's true. Confirmed by VeloNews:

"In a surprise move, a UCI committee has voted to ban all non-prescription glasses from its races..."

ASO has made no such ban, and does not appear to be inclined to do so.

Discuss..........

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Another April Fools article ala the Lance Armstrong clavicle removal per cyclingnews.com??

If not, crazy bastards. Might as well ban riders with endowments smaller than x or larger than y inches in length.

:rolleyes:

If it IS true, I also have this to say : Go eff yourselves UCI. Till you go blind and need prescriptions too.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
I swear I hope that some riders get grime in their eye and lose the chance to catch an attack, or have to stop etc and sue the f**k out of UCI for damages (both medical and professional).

They're getting insane. Might as well ban gears and let all ride fixed. And while they're at it, might as well ban arm warmers and jackets since the 'fans can't see all of a rider' too.

And, why not, also outlaw water bottles since that way, fans can watch a rider really show emotion and dehydration and struggle. Crazy mother friggin bastids.

//I suppose all riders could get a prescription for well, erm, no degree lenses but then, I'm sure the UCI would stop that too.

///Oooh I got a great idea: Ban chamois too! That'll show more grit in a rider's face!

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
But of course, the effect of this rule is from April 1st so I'm more inclined to think it's ala cyclingnews' Armstrong advantage article.

Then again, it IS the UCI :D

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
uzziefly said:
But of course, the effect of this rule is from April 1st so I'm more inclined to think it's ala cyclingnews' Armstrong advantage article.

Then again, it IS the UCI :D
My thoughts also. It IS April 1. Makes sense that VN would yank our chains, right? But as you pointed out, it IS the UCI. They've done some pretty stupid (IMO) things before.....

My bet is on AF joke, but we'll see...

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
JustTooBig said:
My thoughts also. It IS April 1. Makes sense that VN would yank our chains, right? But as you pointed out, it IS the UCI. They've done some pretty stupid (IMO) things before.....

My bet is on AF joke, but we'll see...
The aerobars thing is pretty darned dumb IMO as well. But this seems way too dumb even for them and I admit, I DID believe it but after a little thinking, it's just waayyy too whack.

And the way it also says Greg Lemond and abomination seem too fishy and and very well like a fabrication instead.

But of course, it IS the UCI. They could well, like I said, ban chamois and it'd be real.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Oy. April 1- check calendar. Fail.

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
uzziefly said:
They're getting insane. Might as well ban gears and let all ride fixed.

///Oooh I got a great idea: Ban chamois too! That'll show more grit in a rider's face!

It took them a very long time to allow gears into races (at least I know thats true for TDF,) and honestly I would love to see some of those guys raceing with a fixed gear just out of shear amussment and hipster joke potential.

Ban chamois? Ouch.

·
Registered
446 Posts
There goes all that $ for eyewear sponsors. What are Oakley, Giro, Ruby Project and the rest going to do. Oh yeah they'll get together and collectively buy the sport of cycling, or at least the UCI.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Good on VeloNews for exploiting the endless chest thumping about the UCI: Their joke illustrates once again the ridiculous anger some fans feel about every rule that comes along.

Remember the ban on race radios a few months ago? Fans were outraged! Then it ends up being a rumor, nothing more.

How about the 3:1 rule so harshly handed down just before the ToC? Oh, well, it was actually just a suggestion floated that the UCI may at some point begin to enforce a rule that's long been on the books. Still, so unfair!

And don't whine about the poor bike industry taking a beating from the UCI -- every rule change is basically marketing copy once the industry gets wind of it. New UCI-compliant aero bars are already being plugged in response to the 3:1 rule. Buy yours today!

Get over it, folks. The sport needs rules. And since everyone tries desperately to bend them, the rules occassionally need clarification/revision/stepped up enforcement. Despite the rantings of sport's press and some of it's fans, the vast majority of UCI rules work well to preserve and serve the sport.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts