Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WorldTour teams will skip TTT worlds to protest UCI | VeloNews.com

Okay, I had some fun with a revisionist headline...At first I saw this VeloNews headline...and thought AWESOME the UCI deserves a protest over all the crap they pull....then I read what the protest was over and SMH:

VeloNews said:
“UCI failed again to address the demands of WorldTeams which are compelled under UCI regulations to participate in UCI’s TTT World Championships at their expense,” AIGCP’s statement read.

The conflict has sprung out of the expanded WorldTour calendar. On August 2, the UCI announced 10 additional events for 2017. WorldTour teams do not want to be compelled to participate in all events on the 37-race calendar, which spans three continents.

The statement ended with a strong condemnation of the UCI: “The abovementioned terms of participation which exist nowhere else in the sport are undeniably abusive and reveal the abuse of power which UCI incurs in when it enforces them solely for the one road competition it operates. All WorldTeams are expected to skip the TTT World Championships until these abusive practices are abolished.”

BTW this is the list of new events:

January 29: Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race (Australia)
February 6-10: Tour of Qatar (Qatar)
February 23-24: Abu Dhabi Tour (United Arab Emirates)
February 25: Omloop Het Nieuwsblad (Belgium)
March 4: Strade Bianche (Italy)
March 22: Dwars Door Vlaanderen (Belgium)
April 18-23: Presidential Cycling Tour of Turkey (Turkey)
May 1: Eschborn-Frankfurt (Germany)
May 14-21: Amgen Tour of California (United States)
July 30: Prudential RideLondon-Surrey Classic (Great Britain)
Read more at Tour of California added to 2017 WorldTour calendar | VeloNews.com

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Marc, I don't understand your point. You say the UCI pulls crap, but imply the ProTour expansion is - what?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Madiot is right. This is dumb to compel teams to do all the events.

but then .. I think they should be forced to do Strade Bianchi. However, they should also be required to do it on 1940's era bikes :D with seat stay shifters

1 - 3 of 3 Posts