Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As expected, most of the road races ended in bunch sprints. Both the men's and women's Elite finishes were fun IMO. I was happy to see Sagan keep the Rainbow Jersey for another season, but I completely expected the pure sprinters to get away from him on this course, which lacked any serious climbs. It seemed tailor made for the likes of Cavendish, Greipel, Nizzolo, Viviani, and company. Hats off to him for another stellar ride.

Congrats to the Women's Elite winner as well. I thought Wild had it in the bag, but Dideriksen came out nowhere like rocket. It was also cool to see Neben lay it all on the line like that. It was unfortunate that she came up a tad short after almost pulling off the double.

UCI Road World Championships 2016: Elite Men - Road Race Results | Cyclingnews.com

UCI Road World Championships 2016: Elite Women - Road Race Results | Cyclingnews.com

There was also that crazy altercation between Degenkolb and Debusschere. I wasn't impressed with John's behavior (or racing for that matter) at all. It seems like he took that whole thing way too far for something that is a pretty standard race tactic at almost every level. A lot guys I know would have laid hands on the dude after the race for something like that...

Degenkolb vents frustrations with Debusschere - Video | Cyclingnews.com

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I did see the finish. Not dissappointed, but definitely surprised that Sagan beat the pure sprinters. For that matter some of the sprinters didn't make the cut for the reduced field sprint. I had expected one of the pure sprinters to win as this was not tough course.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The field got shattered in the crosswinds. It may not have been a tough course on paper, but it sure as hell was made tough by the riders and the conditions.

I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised by Sagan. He's constantly, constantly in the mix with "pure sprinters", he took a clean line and had plenty of power to finish it off, and Cav made a monumental mistake in the last 300m not following Blythe and then getting boxed in behind Matthews.

I mean, Tom Boonen should have been more a surprise than Sagan, but this wasn't a pure field sprint by any stretch. It was a 250 odd km race that was crushed in the crosswinds. Nearly six hours of racing in those conditions can take a bit more out of you.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
At least this year's challengers to Sagan were the cream of the crop. Cav & Boonen - both former world champions. As opposed to last year, when Sagan beat out a couple riders that I had never heard of.

Well done Peter.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I was happy to see Sagan keep the Rainbow Jersey for another season,
I know this is technically a spoiler, but from now on I think we can dispense with the alert when Sagan is is racing. Except in the unlikely event that another racer wins.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
At least this year's challengers to Sagan were the cream of the crop. Cav & Boonen - both former world champions. As opposed to last year, when Sagan beat out a couple riders that I had never heard of.

Well done Peter.
Last year's top 5 was Sagan, Matthews, Navardauskas, Kristoff, Valverde. The only one in that group I'll give you for never having heard of is Navardauskas. Matthews and Kristoff are both good sprinters in their own rights (but need a bit tougher course than the pure sprinters like Cav and Kittle). The only thing Valverde is not is a sprinter.

pedalbiker, from what I saw of the end, it wasn't even a reduced field sprint. In that situation I'm not surprised that either Sagan won or that Boonen was in the top 5. Both are good classics riders. Sagan also is great at positionaning which many of the pure sprinters are not. I was expecting a much larger group coming to the finish line together thus allowing for a leadout train or two which did not happen here. Yes Cav made a mistake.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I saw a different race in 2015.

I saw groupo compacto on the last climb just inside 3km to go. The moment of truth. Sagan jumped them all and rode away to victory. Boonen, Kwiatkowski, Gilbert, Uran, Sanchez, Van Aevermat, Valverde. All of them. Everybody. It was a great win.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I saw a different race in 2015.

I saw groupo compacto on the last climb just inside 3km to go. The moment of truth. Sagan jumped them all and rode away to victory. Boonen, Kwiatkowski, Gilbert, Uran, Sanchez, Van Aevermat, Valverde. All of them. Everybody. It was a great win.
I watched the same race as you did, he just motored away from the big boys at the right time.
Regardless, Cav definitely made a big mistake. Don't know if he thought Blythe moved too early or just got squeezed out but it was definitely his race to lose.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
One other thing I'll add to the 2015 race is that although Valverde may not have won the Rainbow jersey, he does have a record number of podiums in the Worlds with 6 total medals.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Did it seem to anyone that Boonen pretty aggressively stuck out his left elbow in the final meters, into Michael Matthews's path?
Recall that Boonen only beat Matthews by at most 1/2 bike length.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I am so, so, so glad that I decided to drive the 550km's to Richmond for the '15 championship and 550km's back to NYC. That weekend almost fell apart for me and it was one I'll remember for quite some time.

I haven't watched this year as closely as I'd like on account of traveling for work - in fact I still need to watch how Cav got boxed out - but I swear that I saw either a U23 or ITT Spaniard wearing a movistar helmet and white Sky kit. Anyone?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I am so, so, so glad that I decided to drive the 550km's to Richmond for the '15 championship and 550km's back to NYC. That weekend almost fell apart for me and it was one I'll remember for quite some time.

I haven't watched this year as closely as I'd like on account of traveling for work - in fact I still need to watch how Cav got boxed out - but I swear that I saw either a U23 or ITT Spaniard wearing a movistar helmet and white Sky kit. Anyone?
Alex Dowsett is Birtish and was doing the ITT. So that's probably who you are asking about. He would have the Movistar helmet and the British white kit for the Worlds.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Alex Dowsett is Birtish and was doing the ITT. So that's probably who you are asking about. He would have the Movistar helmet and the British white kit for the Worlds.
I bet I saw a white Rapha kit and assumed it way Sky? Otherwise, why would he be wearing a Sky kit?

Here's what I learned about Alex:

Dowsett suffers from haemophilia.[20] Speaking on ITV's Cycle Show in July 2013, Dowsett cited this medical condition as being a key factor in his choosing competitive cycling in his youth, above other sports, because contact games such as football and rugby were considered too risky. He is believed to be the only able-bodied elite sportsman or woman with the condition.[3] As a result, he has a special exemption from the Union Cycliste Internationale's no needles policy, introduced in 2011,[21] to inject himself with the clotting protein Factor VIII every 48 hours. Dowsett runs the charitable foundation Little Bleeders to raise awareness of haemophilia.[3]

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I bet I saw a white Rapha kit and assumed it way Sky? Otherwise, why would he be wearing a Sky kit?

Here's what I learned about Alex:

Dowsett suffers from haemophilia.[20] Speaking on ITV's Cycle Show in July 2013, Dowsett cited this medical condition as being a key factor in his choosing competitive cycling in his youth, above other sports, because contact games such as football and rugby were considered too risky. He is believed to be the only able-bodied elite sportsman or woman with the condition.[3] As a result, he has a special exemption from the Union Cycliste Internationale's no needles policy, introduced in 2011,[21] to inject himself with the clotting protein Factor VIII every 48 hours. Dowsett runs the charitable foundation Little Bleeders to raise awareness of haemophilia.[3]
That very well could be. It makes sense. It is strange to see some of the riders in their national colors with their team's helmet and gloves. He seems like a nice guy and tries to make people more aware of his condition and tries to help others with the condition. It does make sense he has this UCI exemption for a condition that is well documented. I found out who he is and about his condition and such after he joined Movistar. They also have made sure people understand he suffers from haemophilia and have tried to explain what it is.

One other thing to add. My husband and I were also in Richmond for the Worlds. Will never forget being at that race and seeing all the guys who came over here for it. We still talk about how much fun we had.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts