Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
I think Astana should send some riders anyway. Treat it like a trademark that the UCI hasn't bothered to defend.

·
What offseason?
534 Posts
Chef Tony said:
Too bad; guess I won't see Levi at Copperopolis next year.
The UCI doesn't give a squat whether Levi races Gila or not - this is all about Armstrong. As the VeloNews article pointed out, Levi has raced all sorts of non-UCI, local races in the public eye... Copperopolis, Sea Otter, Cascade etc... and the UCI hasn't raised an eyebrow. The UCI thinks that Armstrong is going to bring tons of media exposure and $$$ to Gila if he races and the UCI won't get their cut because Gila isn't paying to have this be a UCI sanctioned race.

This is the same as the stupid pissing match that the UCI and French racing authority got in last year over Paris Nice. The UCI threatening to suspend pro-tour riders that participated in Paris Nice etc... in the end, if Astana really wanted to raise, I doubt that the UCI would have the cajones to do anything about it... nor should they.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
They could be SRAM ambassadors for the race too, no?

I'm sure there's a million logistical loopholes that could and or could not save face with them. :D

·
What offseason?
534 Posts
RoadCyclingNZ said:
Lance and Levi should join the Trek-Livestrong team as "guest riders". Problem solved.
<div style="margin:0 0 0 40px; border-left:5px solid #ccc; padding: 0 0 15px 15px;">
<strong>UCI Rule 2.1.009</strong>
Only the UCI continental teams of the country, regional and club teams, national teams and mixed teams may participate in national events. Mixed teams may not include riders from a UCI ProTeam.
</div>

That looks to me like the UCI could easilly squash the guest rider idea too.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
gray8110 said:
<div style="margin:0 0 0 40px; border-left:5px solid #ccc; padding: 0 0 15px 15px;">
<strong>UCI Rule 2.1.009</strong>
Only the UCI continental teams of the country, regional and club teams, national teams and mixed teams may participate in national events. Mixed teams may not include riders from a UCI ProTeam.
</div>

That looks to me like the UCI could easilly squash the guest rider idea too.
Haven't the Giro and Tour (and Vuelta and Lombardy for that matter) abandoned the UCI's governance? I know they've made nice with regard to sharing doping controls. But if the UCI isn't sanctioning either race--undoubtedly the biggest on Astana's calendar this year--seems like Astana could thumb their nose at them.

·
Registered
336 Posts
THE UCI has been bogus for many years. Nice one tools.

Now the fans in New Mexico dont get to see a great show.

Well done..

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Once again, I say this : eff you UCI.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Astana's back in, UCI gets reasonable

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/04/28/sports/AP-CYC-Armstrong-Tour-of-Gila.html?_r=1

"Lance Armstrong will race in the Tour of the Gila after all.

Race director Jack Brennan said Tuesday the American cycling great will be allowed to compete at this week's event after USA Cycling reached an agreement with the International Cycling Union.

I think the UCI just hands down decisions because it's what they get paid to do. It doesn't matter if they're correct, or if they reverse themselves. It's just busy-work.
Then again, maybe the "agreement" included an exchange of money, with the UCI on the receiving end.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I guess I am in the minority here. I say let the lower rung teams have their race and go gear up for the grand tours in Europe with the other ProTour teams. Just my opinion.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
tron said:
I guess I am in the minority here. I say let the lower rung teams have their race and go gear up for the grand tours in Europe with the other ProTour teams. Just my opinion.
The Tour of Gila is on the edge of financial collapse. It almost wasn't even raced.

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
Astana will be allowed to have 3 riders (Armstrong, Levi nad Horner), as oppossed to a complette team - also as stated above in Mellow Johnny's kit. Don't beleive they are allowed to have a support vehicle either.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
Trek-Livestrong is in the race, so they will have a support car and team, for sure. They aren't racing it to win, though that would be a bonus for them.

I'm happy they are allowed in. The Gila really needed the financial help, and now it will be a huge race again.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The UCI seems to enforce some of their rules only when they feel like it. For example, earlier this year, the UCI put the fear of god into people when they decided to enforce a rule for TT bikes (can't remember the exact rule). From what I understand, the rule had been on the books for a few years, but had not been enforced. Now, some manufacturers will have to re-tool to comply.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
pdh777 said:
Astana will be allowed to have 3 riders (Armstrong, Levi nad Horner), as oppossed to a complette team - also as stated above in Mellow Johnny's kit. Don't beleive they are allowed to have a support vehicle either.
Kits will be the black version with white wind vests as Lance and company came to shop before 8 this morning on the way to the airport to pick up the goodies. It was a bit hectic but I had all of the goods ready as they called ahead. There are 2 Audi Q7 team vehicles AT Gila, or on there way to the race, but those are technically U-23 squads. They will have helpers the in the form of mechanics and soigneurs that are from the Astana side...

·
3,494 Posts
Chef Tony said:
Too bad; guess I won't see Levi at Copperopolis next year.
I heard that Levi was DQ'ed at the Copperopolis Road Race due to a yellow line violation. That must have made the official's day!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts