Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the cut-off for whether a TT bike's geometry may be deemed illegal for racing in USCF or UCI races? Is it a seat tube of 78 degrees or steeper? Or, is it measured by where the front of the saddle is? In other words, I've heard someone comment that even with a steep seat angle, sometimes they are legal if they cut off the front of the saddle if it goes past a certain point in relation to the BB?

I'm considering buying a tt bike but don't want one that I cannot use in races. Thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The front of the saddle has to be at least 5cm (~2") BEHIND your BB. Just tie a fishing weight to a string with your bike on a level surface and measure the distance.

There are two other measurments I know of but don't know the particulars of; saddle to handlebar drop cannot be too great and tip of the seat to tip of your aerobars cannot be too far. I'll try to get some info on those, but if you aren't a very big rider, neither of those are a big issue

Hope that helps

*edit*

This is taken from the official UCI rule book

1.3.012 The point of the saddle shall be a minimum of 5cm (see article 1.3.019 below) to the rear of a vertical plane passing through the lower bracket spindle. The saddle support shall be horizontal (see figure 1). The length of the saddle shall be 24 cm minimum and 27.5 cm maximum.

1.3.013 The maximum height of the hand support point shall be level with or below a horizontal line passing through the horizontal plane of the saddle top. This point of support may not be situated behind the axis of the steering column.

The overall length [forward projection] of the handlebars may not exceed a limit set 15 cm forward of a vertical line passing through the front wheel spindle.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
ridewt said:
Does anyone know the cut-off for whether a TT bike's geometry may be deemed illegal for racing in USCF or UCI races?
And none of this applies to USCF races (except for international or national team qualifying events and national record attempts).

·
Registered
4 Posts
In 2007 it applies to everyone with a USCF license

asgelle said:
And none of this applies to USCF races (except for international or national team qualifying events and national record attempts).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think equipment will be easy to spot (such as forks and frames that will be illegal in 07) and cracked down.

They actually have a lil ruler thing that can measure legal distances really quickly. I;ve been to more than one race where they have credit carded the rear wheel gaps on peoples P3's. So it mainly depends on your region.

But if you are buying new equipment, why would you setup the bike illegal or buy illegal parts?

52-16SS said:
even so, you will probably not be checked unless you are riding at NRC level (much like doping control).

·
Registered
208 Posts
52-16SS said:
even so, you will probably not be checked unless you are riding at NRC level (much like doping control).
Last year, I race at Provincial TT champs and Nationals TT, and at both of those races, they checked every single bike.. it doesn't take very long to do it. When USCF adopts those rules, expect that they will be enforced and set your bike up within the limits to save a lot of trouble

·
EuroCrash
478 Posts
llvllatt said:
Last year, I race at Provincial TT champs and Nationals TT, and at both of those races, they checked every single bike.. it doesn't take very long to do it. When USCF adopts those rules, expect that they will be enforced and set your bike up within the limits to save a lot of trouble
How does your Canadian experience pertain the USCF?
My bet is that you will very rarely see a geometry check at a local, vanilla, stage race TT - unless you show up with a homemade washing machine bike.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I agree

52-16SS said:
My bet is that you will very rarely see a geometry check at a local, vanilla, stage race TT - unless you show up with a homemade washing machine bike.
But when the rule goes into place you might as well be withint cause showing up ready to race only to find you can't would suck.That said its a stupid rule.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
USCF: No UCI equipment regulations in 2007

str8dum said:
In 2007 it applies to everyone with a USCF license
This is old and out-dated information. While the above was once true, more recently the USCF has shelved the idea of ever enforcing UCI equipment rules, except for national championships and races which select for national teams or world championships. The original rule specifying the 2007 enforcement date has been removed from the current rule book.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Mark McM said:
This is old and out-dated information. While the above was once true, more recently the USCF has shelved the idea of ever enforcing UCI equipment rules, except for national championships and races which select for national teams or world championships. The original rule specifying the 2007 enforcement date has been removed from the current rule book.
Funny that they don't mention that in their Summary of Rule Changes. I do applaud the move. - TF

·
Registered
208 Posts
52-16SS said:
Both of those races had the same UCI rules that USCF *was* going to adopt.

Even if I weren't planning on racing anything with those UCI regulations, I would set my bike up within them just incase.. they're not all that strict (unless you're getting like a 50cm bike, then then seat will be pretty far forward compared to the BB)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts