Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im shocked to see that in the UCI world track championships that a rider rolled his tire on the front wheel. I mean wouldn't the mechanic have done a better job of gluing the tire on the wheels?! I don't remember the last time I have seen a tour rider have this happen, is track racing that much harder on tires?

http://velonews.com/photo/90001

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Maybe not track riding in general buy perhaps a 2000-2500 watt sprinter loading the bike side to side. It happens in road racing from time to time, usually in the middle of a situation that would've resulted in a crash anyway (Joseba Beloki comes to mind) but once in a while it just happens. I recall the legendary domestique Neil Stephens on his way to a rare win in a TdF stage, rolls his tire off the rim while going around a roundabout at 50kph. He got up more or less unhurt and watched the race go by, must've been heart breaking.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Wow that sucks. Talk about an unexpected bounce off the hardwood..

I don't think I could ever trust tires that are glue to my wheel..

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
Wow that sucks. Talk about an unexpected bounce off the hardwood..

I don't think I could ever trust tires that are glue to my wheel..
Crap happens once in a while.

That doesn't mean carbon bikes are bad etc etc now does it?

Could well be a slight human error. Or as I said, crap happened to him unfortunately.

At least he wasn't badly hurt (right?)

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
glue equals rolling resistance plus a track tire doesn't need as much as a road tire (the turns are not against a flat road surface) - looks to have come off as a result of the contact - likely hit the track at a strange angle.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
stevesbike said:
glue equals rolling resistance plus a track tire doesn't need as much as a road tire (the turns are not against a flat road surface) - looks to have come off as a result of the contact - likely hit the track at a strange angle.
while you're partially right (the turns are not against a flat surface), that in no way means that track tires don't need as much glue. if anything i am looking for the perfect glue job everytime i put a tire on a wheel that will be used on the track. i want the most even coats of glue i can get. i want that tire to be smooth/straight and stay on no matter what. while regular glue does have slightly more resistance, hardly anyone puts them on w/ shellac anymore, even at the world cup level, it's just too much work.
i think that tire rolled from contacting the track at a weird angle as you said...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
the crash was not caused by the tyre coming off the rim, it was caused by 'someone' not staying in the sprinters lane (see video on youtube)

rolling tubulars during a crash is not uncommon at this level of racing, there was a great pic going around a month or so ago of 2 women crashing at i think the australian national champs (?) and i think 3 tyres in total peeling off the 2 bikes...

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
cxwrench said:
while you're partially right (the turns are not against a flat surface), that in no way means that track tires don't need as much glue.
Correct, the bond between a track tire and its rim needs to be very strong. For one, track tires are extremely light and fragile, and they're usually run at maximum allowable pressure. Blowouts are not that uncommon, and you want the tire to stay on the rim in such an event.

Also, track tires do not always run at 90 degrees to the surface—if you've ever ridden track, you know that during a match sprint you often lean the bike into the banking at a pretty radical angle as you ride high at slow speeds.

Lastly, flat track tires are not taken off at the track for replacement, but at home or at the shop. So the bond can be as strong as you can make it. Unlike with a road tubular, amount of time and effort required to remove a flat track tubular doesn't matter.

IMO and as said, the tire in the photo came off because of extreme side slip during the crash. It wasn't the cause of the crash.

·
FNG
449 Posts
alexb618 said:
the crash was not caused by the tyre coming off the rim, it was caused by 'someone' not staying in the sprinters lane (see video on youtube)
Here's a good video from youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ftEFFv0h24

Sireau swerves out of the sprinter's lane coming out of turn 4 and bumps Bauge. Looks like he tries to correct it and loses control of the front end. Can't believe Bauge stayed upright. Impressive save! High pucker-factor on that one. :eek:

·
Registered
367 Posts
chas said:
High pucker-factor on that one. :eek:
Thanks for the video posting Chas! Very impressive save by Bauge. The video is a good reminder that context is always important when looking at pics..... or even video. :)

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
Holly effing awesome recovery from that slide out! Damn!!! That took some skills or sick luck?!

·
Registered
205 Posts
amazing the rear tire of the other bike didnt roll. looks like a moto gp rider power sliding into a corner. WOW!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts