Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been a lifesaver recently, as my son and my wife have pretty much zero tolerance for spicy food. And since everything in the recipe is shelf-stable, it's an easy go-to on a weeknight.

To make this part of your repertoire, go to the Asian market and buy:

1) Kombu (seaweed)
2) Dried bonito flakes
3) Udon noodles

To prepare, bring a quart of water to the boil and add a big piece of kombu, maybe 10 square inches. Boil for 10 minutes, add a half cup of bonito flakes, boil for another minute and then strain the broth, recovering the kombu.

Bring the broth back to a boil, drop in your noodles, shake a few Tbsps of soy sauce in, throw in a handful of finely chopped scallions, chop and re-add the kombu, grate in about an inch of ginger, and bam! Restaurant quality.

Note - addeth not salt. Nor dost thou add pepper.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Never cooked with kombu before. Does it break up or something?

edit: never mind. I now see the note about chopping the kombu.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bikeboy389 said:
Never cooked with kombu before. Does it break up or something?

edit: never mind. I now see the note about chopping the kombu.
I'm a noob when it comes to seaweed. Kombu is really thick and rubbery, not at all like the stuff for making maki rolls.

·
9,416 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
I'm a noob when it comes to seaweed. Kombu is really thick and rubbery, not at all like the stuff for making maki rolls.
Yeah, I know pretty much nothing about seaweed either.

Except that nori isn't actually seaweed. It's some kind of algae that they dry into those sheets. I suppose algae is technically free-range seaweed, though.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
i always like using wakame in asian style soups...

plus, you can add as much sciracha as you like, BAM, instant individual spicy!!!

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bikeboy389 said:
Yeah, I know pretty much nothing about seaweed either.

Except that nori isn't actually seaweed. It's some kind of algae that they dry into those sheets. I suppose algae is technically free-range seaweed, though.
Or something. Kombu is kelp, but it says seaweed on the package.

Japanese people are laughing at this thread.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ampastoral said:
i always like using wakame in asian style soups...

plus, you can add as much sciracha as you like, BAM, instant individual spicy!!!
Gimme a sec, I'm googling wakame. I'll be right back, acting like I know what I'm talking about.

·
9,416 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
Or something. Kombu is kelp, but it says seaweed on the package.

Japanese people are laughing at this thread.
I just looked it up, and it appears that seaweed is not exactly a technical term, being pretty liberally applied to just about any kind of saltwater dwelling plant.

So I'm going to stand by the idea that it's algae, but back off the "not seaweed" idea, since pretty much everything is seaweed.

We are teh lamerz on talking seaweed.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
Gimme a sec, I'm googling wakame. I'll be right back, acting like I know what I'm talking about.
lol
it's the "seaweed" that is typically in miso soup. comes in little tiny strips that you don't need to cut

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
raughing at this thlead?

//i do not mean to offend. i am merely keeping in line with dialectical linguistic jokes often made in the lounge. :D

·
9,416 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
I hope Il Sogno never sees this thread.
Are you kidding? People should bow down to us an our professions of ignorance, worshipping us as the paragons of intellectual honesty we are.

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
I never knew how to make Udon broth. My family never made udon. Thanks for the recipe.

When I make the prepared and packaged stuff I like to throw in a slice of kamaboko (fish cake) and some chopped green onions. Sometimes I'll make a mini sweet omelet with one egg a teeny bit of water and a pinch or two of sugar; slice it up and put it on top of the soup with the green onions, etc...

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
il sogno said:
And this udon place I go to sells killer sushi. Coincidence? I think not!
My favorite Japanese restaurant is Korean owned. So I got in there one day, and I say "Anyang-Haseyo" to the waitress - hello in Korean. She responds, in perfect Cicero accent, "I don't speak Japanese".

·
9,416 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
My favorite Japanese restaurant is Korean owned. So I got in there one day, and I say "Anyang-Haseyo" to the waitress - hello in Korean. She responds, in perfect Cicero accent, "I don't speak Japanese".
The vast majority of Japanese restos in the DC area are Korean owned. Or at least they used to be.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bikeboy389 said:
The vast majority of Japanese restos in the DC area are Korean owned. Or at least they used to be.
Radish kimchi, ftw!

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
My Japanese friends (from Japan) will eat at a Chinese or Korean owned sushi bar. No how, no way!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts