Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not questioning the quality of American bikes, just their appearance. I see so many ugly color schemes/logos on high end American bikes today (Trek, Giant to name a couple). Apologies to those riding said bikes, I'm not trying to offend, but I've never seen one I'd be caught dead on. The huge name badges plastered everywhere, cheap looking color schemes, outdated logo fonts and expensive price tags blow me away. I admit being a bit of a petty snob, and certainly there are others outside of US brands that fit in this category, but the market is over-saturated with them. Rant over...

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
1) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
2) Giant isn't an American bike company.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
You think American bikes have a bunch of logos you should check out some of the foreign brands.

·
Cooper1960
526 Posts
I agree with the ugly bikes comments but it's across the board, I think a lot of it has to do with cost savings and mass production. Heck I just bought a 2009 Colnago C50 because I thought it was pretty, they just don't paint em that pretty anymore.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Companies need to make money. So if they did their marketing homework, the design of their products simply reflects what they think the vast majority of buyers want. With the companies you mentioned, they got it exactly right.

As to the logos: With status goods like high-end bicycles, it's important for the owner to display brand and model to gain status with others. Hence, the ever-larger logos and typefaces on those status goods. When I was very young, if the public could see the brand of the trousers you wore, it meant that you had put them on inside-out. But times have changed.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
It's really just a matter of individual tastes, isn't it?

I love some of the wild and gaudy color schemes makers are painting their bikes today. There are some unconventional color combinations that I think look good together even though their description sounds strange.
And with all the choices some makers offer you are less likely to see another just like yours in the group ride.

Having been a lifelong motorcyclist, I appreciate the increased visibility you get with a light-colored, bright bike.

So guess what I ride? A matte-black Trek.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of course it's individual taste! Just my opinion. As I pointed out it's not limited to American bikes, Ive seen plenty of Euro bikes that fit the bill here. (Btw, lumped Giant in as America, the US only solely distributes.) Cooper, your Colnago is what I love in a bike, a real beauty!! Hey, it's your money, buy what makes you happy, right?!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
My LOOK is the most obnoxious, flashiest piece of carbon, 'evah.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My Ridley Excalibur (Belgian company) has huge logos, and maybe because I'm a little older, I find the huge downtube in particular ugly, yet I wish I had a bike like this when I was racing back in the '80s; there's nothing I don't like about it when I'm actually riding it.

The American bike I keep saying I'm going to buy, but still can't decide on the model or colour is the Wabi (now available as a road frame too): View attachment 288481

Attachments

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
Who cares how they look? They're meant to be ridden. How do logos look at ~20mph?
Yes, but how good does it look hanging on my wall while I'm browsing PO? :D

@OP, I agree... I like a muted look. Perhaps the decals hold the high modulus carbon together while simultaneously enhancing the rider's package.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork

This is Trek's top of the line model on their website. Like a lot of other makers (e.g.,Specialized Venge) there is still a lot of 'stealth' finishes these days. Trek actually as a pretty nice lineup in terms of finishes. If you want flashy, take a look at Ridley or Fuji or the popularity of high vis kits....

I'm not questioning the quality of American bikes, just their appearance. I see so many ugly color schemes/logos on high end American bikes today (Trek, Giant to name a couple). Apologies to those riding said bikes, I'm not trying to offend, but I've never seen one I'd be caught dead on. The huge name badges plastered everywhere, cheap looking color schemes, outdated logo fonts and expensive price tags blow me away. I admit being a bit of a petty snob, and certainly there are others outside of US brands that fit in this category, but the market is over-saturated with them. Rant over...

·
I love to climb!
2,045 Posts
Bright paint schemes don't bother me, but having too many logos is annoying. Some manufacturers put their names on the frames over a dozen times! One on each side of the down tube is sufficient to identify which brand of bike it is, in my opinion.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
Am I the only one that does not think that an all black bike is "pretty". Stealthy sure, but I'll take a paint scheme like a Look 695 Aerolight instead thanks!

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

·
Proud luddite
7,232 Posts
Shoot, the non-American makes are just as guilty! The recent Euro bikes would fix a brand name on the air in the tires if they could!

·
Registered
191 Posts
My Focus is absolutely covered in decals

Shoot, the non-American makes are just as guilty! The recent Euro bikes would fix a brand name on the air in the tires if they could!
Yeah.
I took a look at my Focus Izalco (says "Made in Germany" on it) and the thing hardly has any clear space. The fork says "Focus", "C.O.D." and "6th Element" on both sides. The frame says "Focus" seven times, "Izalco" three times and has weird abbreviations all over it-"L.S.D.", "C.O.D.", "L.R.C.S.V." and "E.C.R.".

Fortunately, I don't read this stuff when I'm riding. And I haven't gotten LSD COD in years.

·
Proud luddite
7,232 Posts
Yeah.
I took a look at my Focus Izalco (says "Made in Germany" on it) and the thing hardly has any clear space. The fork says "Focus", "C.O.D." and "6th Element" on both sides. The frame says "Focus" seven times, "Izalco" three times and has weird abbreviations all over it-"L.S.D.", "C.O.D.", "L.R.C.S.V." and "E.C.R.".

Fortunately, I don't read this stuff when I'm riding. And I haven't gotten LSD COD in years.
Yikes! Don't try to get LSD COD or the DEA will bust you! :D

1 - 20 of 68 Posts