Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
J's Haiku Shop Ugly Bike had finally provoked me to build a 650C time trial bike. I'm still waiting for boxes and should be done with it either this weekend or sometime next week. My budget was double what J built his up for only because I want to go sub 20 lbs and spec some nicer wheels since I will actually do a few time trials on it. Here's the start, pictures of competed project will follow.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Juanmoretime said:
J's Haiku Shop Ugly Bike had finally provoked me to build a 650C time trial bike. I'm still waiting for boxes and should be done with it either this weekend or sometime next week. My budget was double what J built his up for only because I want to go sub 20 lbs and spec some nicer wheels since I will actually do a few time trials on it. Here's the start, pictures of competed project will follow.
There must be something in the air. I've been searching the Web this AM for a cheap Tri/TT 650c frame. How's the construction on the frame? I've been looking at that one and also the Ti frame at Chucks...

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The frame is pretty light and the paint is acceptable, not great. I took it to my LBS and he checked the alignment and faced the headtube and bottom bracket shell and chased the threads on the bottom bracket. The alignment is fine on it. The welds are typical robotic welds, kind of ugly. I've always been a sucker for staright balded forks so the fork scored big. The appearance of the fork is fine. The finish on the drops is a little rough. Considering the frame and fork cost $160, I think it's an excellent deal. I might have thought twice if it would have been over $250 unseen. Once I finish the build and get everything dialed in, I'm sure it will be a fun little time trailer. There is definitely more than your moneys worth there.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Dave...on Tsunami's

Dave:
Though mine isn't a TT frame, I do have a Tsunami road frame as my rainy day bike. I built it up last fall with Veloce components and OP wheelset. I've put maybe 300 miles on it so far. The frame came with a CF fork for only $105.
I can't complain about the finish. It's a very nice frame, welds are OK except for the chainstays. The welds on the chainstays are just plain butt ugly...but for the price...who cares??? In the paraphrased words of my LBS owner ..."this frame would have been considered state of the art 5 or 6 years ago" One recommendation: ask Chuck about the various frame measurements before you buy - I did. My chainstays are a little bit on the short side hence the lower price. I have about 1/4" clearance between the tire and seatube. In other words, my hope of converting it to a CX bike went out the window. All in all, a heck of a deal..

Paul

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
Picking Nits

Turn the stem around. You most likely need to, to get your upper body horizontal to the road. Upper body position is by far the most significant factor for top end TT speed.

Looks like a nice project, (probably my next project). What wheels are you going with? Does your budget allow for HED H3 front and a disk rear. (You may be able find a deal on these used on ebay, you can find some very good deals on 650 wheels).

I've been torn between pulling together a 650 or 700 wheel TT bike. On one hand I would like to have wheels I could use for both TT and racing, on the other hand the best deals on TT frames and wheels are in the 650 sizes. I'm convinced I need TT geometry. Can't get the seat far enough forward on a standard bike without a special seat post.

Let us know how it turns out for you.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
PaulCL said:
Dave:
Though mine isn't a TT frame, I do have a Tsunami road frame as my rainy day bike. I built it up last fall with Veloce components and OP wheelset. I've put maybe 300 miles on it so far. The frame came with a CF fork for only $105.
I can't complain about the finish. It's a very nice frame, welds are OK except for the chainstays. The welds on the chainstays are just plain butt ugly...but for the price...who cares??? In the paraphrased words of my LBS owner ..."this frame would have been considered state of the art 5 or 6 years ago" One recommendation: ask Chuck about the various frame measurements before you buy - I did. My chainstays are a little bit on the short side hence the lower price. I have about 1/4" clearance between the tire and seatube. In other words, my hope of converting it to a CX bike went out the window. All in all, a heck of a deal..

Paul
I'm not expecting a super nice frame. My biggest concern is alignment and BB threads.

Thanks to both for your imput

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just popped the stem on and may turn it around once I get it built up and start to dial in my postion on the bike. I used to ride very low as in -17 stem with no spacers. The wheels I've ordered for now is a pair of Velocity Sparticus Pros. I want to get a trispoke for the front and possible a disk for the rear. Chucks Bikes has a cassette rear disk in 650C that pretty cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts