Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,473 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts
I remember this came up last year at this time for Jan..

vimalakirti said:
I wish I could ride 48km/hr with my gut hanging out like this:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=photos/2004/mar04/murcia/stage2/cycling-tourofmurcia-u-64

He looks like a big fat sausage in a pink T-Mobile casing.

due to the massive expansion and contraction of his lungs he can appear quite bloated if the shot is taken at maximum expansion. Those guys can really take in air!!

I think it would be unfair based upon this picture to brand him a fatty....MHO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
<img src="https://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/mar04/murcia/stage2/cycling-tourofmurciaar-63.jpg">

Lance too.. it's gotta be the timing/angle of the photograph and their breathing.

Ben
 

·
TAPTAP..Is this thing on?
Joined
·
316 Posts
Don't call me fatty ;(

Hmmmm, that is what I look like all the time...Without the whole expelling of the air thing.
 

·
n00bsauce
Joined
·
13,507 Posts
He's belly breathing

vimalakirti said:
I wish I could ride 48km/hr with my gut hanging out like this:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=photos/2004/mar04/murcia/stage2/cycling-tourofmurcia-u-64

He looks like a big fat sausage in a pink T-Mobile casing.
All the pros look like this when you catch them on the inhale. It's the most efficient way to get the maximum amount of air into your lungs. Seems as though a picture like this is posted every year and Ullrich is the favorite poster boy. Not to worry, he's on target for a major Tour challenge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,750 Posts
benInMA said:
<img src="https://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/mar04/murcia/stage2/cycling-tourofmurciaar-63.jpg">

Lance too.. it's gotta be the timing/angle of the photograph and their breathing.

Ben
It's called "belly breathing" and it's a learned activity that optimizes breathing. Most pros do it. Anyone looks fat when caught at the right moment of this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mel Erickson said:
All the pros look like this when you catch them on the inhale. It's the most efficient way to get the maximum amount of air into your lungs. Seems as though a picture like this is posted every year and Ullrich is the favorite poster boy. Not to worry, he's on target for a major Tour challenge.
OK, maybe not a "fatty." But I have read that he's about 10# over his tour weight from last year. And doesn't it look like he's carrying some extra fat in those jowls of his?

As for Armstrong, the picture clearly shows all the weight he has gained from his decadent new hollywood lifestyle. ;)
 

·
i like whiskey
Joined
·
8,405 Posts
Off the subject observation/question

Why are they both wearing their regular helmet instead of a TT helmet? Is there some new regulation that requires fully certified helmets for all stages, including TT's? That would be the only explanation I can think of since those TT helmets are just shells used for aero effect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
I'd bet that both Lance and Jan already have their new UCI legal super aero timetrial helmets. We won't be seeing the "top secret" designs until the tour.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
vimalakirti said:
I wish I could ride 48km/hr with my gut hanging out like this:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=photos/2004/mar04/murcia/stage2/cycling-tourofmurcia-u-64

He looks like a big fat sausage in a pink T-Mobile casing.
Here's what Lance said about Jan in a Cycling News interview on March 5th. 7-8 kilos is 15.4 to 17.8 lbs... That's qiute a bit.. http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2004/interviews/?id=lance_armstrong041

Cycling News: How does he look to you?

Lance: Big. But I think he looks better than he normally looks this time of year. There's no doubt that (Jan) is seven or eight kilos more than his Tour weight. He's been heavier other years. But Ullrich looks strong, is how he does look. I wouldn't say he looks fat. Jan always gets in shape for the Tour; he's always ready.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top