Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question, I am building up a new bike and can get 9 speed Dura ace for the same price as 10 speed Ultegra.
Which one should I get?

Thanks for your time...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Why on Earth would you buy 9 speed anything when 10 speed is the current tech?

9 speed spares are going to get hard to come by in the near future.

Buy the Ultegra 10

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
With all due respect.......

merckx56 said:
Why on Earth would you buy 9 speed anything when 10 speed is the current tech?

9 speed spares are going to get hard to come by in the near future.

Buy the Ultegra 10
that is a crazy logic...heck 8 speed stuff is still svailable. 9 speed stuff will be readily available for t least the next 3 to 5 yrs.

That being said, I'd get the Ultegra......it really is quality stuff.

Len

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Umm how bout mix-n-match: get the 10s drive items and D/A 9sp everything else!

'Course I could be talking out my rear when it comes to compitability, so check around...

M

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Get DA10 cranks and DA9 everything else.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would get the Ultegra 10 just because I like the shape and feel of the brake hoods better than that of the DA. I am currently fighting the overwhelming urge to upgrade my Ultegra 6500 to the new 6600 just for that reason. Hard to justify when every thing works fine. I guess I can just use Ebay to help defray some of the cost.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'd get the Ultegra 10, in a few years, it will be *easier* and probably chepaer to get replacement parts etc... As long as you keep it all running smooth and tuned properly, neither will shift better than the other; weight difference is probably minimal as well

·
Registered
491 Posts
either or

Im running DA 9sp and Im in no huury to upgrade, the stuff works awesome. However in a few years it will be harder to track down parts, depends on how long you plan on keeping everything. That being said I would go for the Ultegra cause it's current and shifts very smooth, plus it's not like we are professionals, so I doubt either group will hold you back. Just me but I like the look of the 9sp stuff better, maybe the 10sp will grow on me, cause next year I want a new road bike and will be going 10sp Dura Ace

·
Registered
33 Posts
I going to upgrade to ultegra 10 here in the near furture. I heared all good reviews about it and I just want to get rid of the tiagra shifters that came with my bike. I've found the complete set minus the hubs for $593, heres the site http://www.probikekit.com/ if it helps you make up your mind. And you can choose what country your from just in case it shows up in puonds adn not dollors.

·
Roadbike Rider
1,260 Posts
10 speed cranks

The 10 speed cranks, either Ultegra or DA are a little better than the DA 9. They are stiffer and have a much lower maintenance BB.

I like the look of the 9 speed DA. It's all business where as the ultegra 10 says I got the latest, and that will wear off soon enough.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A few more differences

Not only do the hoods feel different, but the shifting action itself is different. On 10sp, the overall lever throw is shorter, so shifting requires less effort (not that a 9sp requires that much effort anyway). Also, the 10sp levers travel in more of a curve, or something like that. Of course, I heard all this from a Shimano tech guy, so he may have been exaggerating the benefits.

That said, I much prefer my 10sp stuff to my old 9sp stuff.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I found the 10 speed brakes to be significantly better than the DA9 and the shifting quicker. Just my humble opinion though.;)

Enjoy the ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts