Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched for a topic concerning the problem that I am having with no luck.

My brifter levers seems to be de-laminating. There is a texture to the lever that was not intended. There is one part of the right lever seems to have a small crack in it. You can get your finger nail in it at least. I was just curious if anyone had an opinion on this or has seen anything like it. Shifter still works perfectly with around 10,000 miles.

Does this need to be replaced?

Thanks View attachment 156132

View attachment 156133

View attachment 156134

·
Does it matter?
751 Posts
Mine have some of that as well. not as much as yours though. it is cosmetic on the finish. I actually sanded some of it off, where the lever and the body rotate past each other during shifts, I didn't want it to interfere. I just think it boils down to Shimano not doing as good a job on the ultegra finish as on the DA. I have both DA7700 and ULT6500 shifters with similar age, mileage and riding conditions. The DA looks pristine, and the ULT has that corroded look.

I my opinion, it is just cosmetic. You may be able to buff it out and apply some finish, but I just left mine alone. they still do the job for shifting and braking.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. i hadn't seen any others that had this condition. Good to know that it is probably only cosmetic. Interesting that Dura Ace doesn't have the same problem.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
jackblack said:
Thanks for the reply. i hadn't seen any others that had this condition. Good to know that it is probably only cosmetic. Interesting that Dura Ace doesn't have the same problem.
Dura Ace has problems. It just doesn't want to tell you. :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts