Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Roadbike Rider
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to ride today, and this damn thing won't shift up or down. I have an exploded view but don't even know how the name plate cap slides off. I tried squirting WD 40 liberally into everything but that didn't help.

If someone can please tell me which way to slide the cap off I would at least have a start. All the other brifters have a screw in the top but not the 6501.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Don't try to take it apart. Few people are able to put a Shimano STI back together.
Look for a loose or missing small screw on the underside of the shifter.
Check to see if the shift cable is binding somewhere, look under the bottom bracket.
Check to see that the cable end is properly seated in the shifter.
Are your shifters under warranty? Talk with local dealers.

Al

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hose out the innards with WD40. Use it liberally. There probably something jamming it up inside.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Check if the Flight Deck wiring got tangled

Happened to me once. If that doesn't work, WD40 is the best option.

Otherwise, there is always Campy! (as I run away from the Campy vs. Shimano war!)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Mostly, this sounds like...

yet another good reason to support your Local Bike Shop.

When my Ultegra brifter said sayonara, I had some fun--had a few beers and I cut them off with a saws-all. It felt manly, and I got out all of the anger over the failure of my levers. My Chorus drivetrain now has many more miles than the Ultegra saw and I ain't goin' back.

I'm just sayin.

Chainstay said:
I want to ride today, and this damn thing won't shift up or down. I have an exploded view but don't even know how the name plate cap slides off. I tried squirting WD 40 liberally into everything but that didn't help.

If someone can please tell me which way to slide the cap off I would at least have a start. All the other brifters have a screw in the top but not the 6501.

Thanks

·
Registered
484 Posts
I had a spring break in one of mine. If it's under warranty great, If not keep the hoods and trim pieces, toss the rest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts