Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone used both?
Notice any difference as far as feel and function goes? Any idea if they stick out exactly the same length?

I use 6700 now and might switch to the DA carbon ones.

I'm actually hoping the answer is "no, there's no difference in function".
I really like the Ultegra ones and I'm not looking to "upgrade" per se. A friend switched to speedplay and will sell me the DA pedals for a song so I figured as long as they feel and function the same I may as well trim a few grams and have two sets of pedals I really like.

·
δanned
7,006 Posts
I wouldn't see the point in upgrading to the carbon pedals. The weight difference is minimal, so you won't see an appreciable performance gain. Additionally, pedals get scratched and beaten up very easily, so a carbon pair would seem counter-intuitive to me. The "bling" factor might be a reason you buy them, but how easily will they be seen by others anyway when you're riding? If I upgraded from alloy to carbon for the aesthetic appeal, I'd go with carbon wheels first because they'd be easily noticeable on and off the bike.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't see the point in upgrading to the carbon pedals. The weight difference is minimal, so you won't see an appreciable performance gain. Additionally, pedals get scratched and beaten up very easily, so a carbon pair would seem counter-intuitive to me. The "bling" factor might be a reason you buy them, but how easily will they be seen by others anyway when you're riding? If I upgraded from alloy to carbon for the aesthetic appeal, I'd go with carbon wheels first because they'd be easily noticeable on and off the bike.
I assume you didn't make it past the title line of my post?

Typetwelve, pedals should generally last a very very long time. I don't think these shimano carbon ones have been out long enough to know anything about their durability. I've never hear of an issue with them....but then again a pedal that's still going strong after two years (I think that's how long they've been on the market) isn't enough to say they are durable by pedal standards. Shimano is pretty good about not releasing anything that's not durable as heck though and I know they did test these things pretty well before releasing them. Time will tell though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.