Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Cannondale Synapse 5 (Aluminum). I am wanting to swap out parts for some Ultegra 6700 parts but have some questions:
1. On the rear derailer I can get a short or medium cage. I am swaping out a compact crank for a standard and have 2 different cassets (11x25 & 12x27). Which one do I need?
2. Bottom brackets for the Ultegra cranks come in 68mm English or 70mm Italian. I assume I would need the 68mm English threads but not sure.
3. The front Ultegra 6700 derailer (clamp version) comes in 28.6mm/31.8mm version or a 34.9mm version. Which one would I need?
Thanks for any help you can offer. I want to get this stuff ordered but don't want to order wrong.

Brazos

· Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
1:short
2: either English or the new BB30, of which you'll need an adaptor f I recall correctly.
3: you need to measure your seat tube to answer this. But it might also use a braze n dérailleur.
Oh, you should keep the compact and get an 11-28 cassette. Save money and have a good gearing range.

· Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
1: Short with a double crank of any kind
2: Cannondale uses 68mm English if it's not a BB30
3: It depends on your seat tube diameter. I'm sure Cannondale lists this on their website under specifications or something like that. My guess (and I'm only taking a stab in the dark without researching at all) is that it would be 34.9

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Short with a double crank seems simple enough. My two choices are SS short cage or GS medium cage. So I assume SS Short cage is what I need.
2. I do not have BB30 so 68mm English.
3. You are correct. Cannondale lists 34.9mm clamp for the front derailer on 2010 models. I don't think there is a difference between 2009 & 2010 but I can dig up my 2009 catalouge to verify.

Still thinking about a compact but wanted to try a standard crank. It seems like it would work better for my TX riding.

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right now all my riding but one hill is in the big ring. My small front ring is kind of useless. I am still debating this w/ myself. That is why I bought a 11x25 cassette (havent installed yet). Trying to gear myself a little higher w/o the standard crank. I have not added up what I am paying for it but at chain reaction cycles it is way cheaper than everyone else.

· Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
robdamanii said:
1: Short with a double crank of any kind
2: Cannondale uses 68mm English if it's not a BB30
3: It depends on your seat tube diameter. I'm sure Cannondale lists this on their website under specifications or something like that. My guess (and I'm only taking a stab in the dark without researching at all) is that it would be 34.9
Do you work for the department of the redundancy department? :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.