Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both of my shifters need new name plate covers. They are very difficult to find. On ebay the prices are exorbitant. I cannot see paying $40 for something that is worth a buck or two, and breaks quite easily. Presently I have duct tape over them. The tape does not hold that well. I would appreciate suggestions on how I can improvise something.

Thanks

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Your thread is getting a number of looks, because people are thinking, "Hey, maybe he's selling some of those rare covers! I better look!" :p

Unfortunately, the going price these days is crazy high for something long out of production. Weird shape on those suckers, so no aftermarket substitute exists. Maybe you can tediously pound out the dents and sand the scratches (like doing bodywork on a car) and re-paint with a good rattlecan finish.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Thanks for the link. I need both the right and left cover. I think that I will just look for a better grade of duct tape. I don't know how much life the shifters have left in them.
I don't ride my Trek as much as I used to, but its going on 15 years. You might be stuck longer than you might like. I have spare parts to a 6800 I was considering putting on the Trek but thought better of it and simply holding onto them. I'll be lucky if I put 500 miles on the Trek this year and the group set does what its supposed to.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I went through this a few years ago, so I sympathize a lot. I can't remember where I got them though - I just searched and searched until i found a source. I seem to recall they were a lot more expensive than I thought they should be, but not $40. Maybe $25.

That said, you might check ebay for non functional 6500 shifters sold "for parts". You could scavenge the name plates and re-sell them for parts. I would have done that had I been wiser. It comes to mind because a couple years later, I sold a nonfunctional right shifter for about $25 or $30, and that made me think I should have done that when I needed the name plates. I didn't need pristine ones, just decent, not broken ones.

[edit]: I just did a quick ebay search "ultegra 6500 shifters for parts" and saw some possibilities

One more thing: I seem to recall at the time that 105 shifters of the same generation (i.e. 5500) had compatible hoods and Specialized "Slim Shims" which leads me to think that the name plates might be the same shape - you could downgrade to ones labeled 105, maybe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.