Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Ultegra 9 speed drive train with a 53-39 up front and a 12-27 in the back. On the 4th cog gear from the smallest I am having shifting problems. When I shift from the 3 to 4 (smaller to bigger cog) it doesn't want to shift. If I make adjustements so it will shift, then I have the same problem going from 5 to 4. I always have to shift twice in one direction then shift back once to get to that gear. I recently got a new wheelset, cassette, and chain and I still have the same problem. Is it the wider spacing in the 12-27 cassette that is causing the problem. BTW everything is Shimano...the chain is Ultegra.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
The cassette is not the problem. Is the lockring tight enough?

How old are the shift cables and housings? Excess friction along the cable can cause these kinds of problems. Sometimes new cables and cable housings can make big improvements is shifting performance. Especially important is that short housing at the back.

Be sure that the shifter is in the smallest cog position before attaching the cable. Flip the small shift lever several times while pulling the loose end of the cable, re-attach, then adjust the tension as needed.

Al

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it could be the cable/housing. It is the original cable and has about 3000 miles with a few wet rides.

The lockring is tight. It might not have been on the old cassette, but I used a torque wrench and tightened to the correct value on the new one.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
lemmy999 said:
I have an Ultegra 9 speed drive train with a 53-39 up front and a 12-27 in the back. On the 4th cog gear from the smallest I am having shifting problems. When I shift from the 3 to 4 (smaller to bigger cog) it doesn't want to shift. If I make adjustements so it will shift, then I have the same problem going from 5 to 4. I always have to shift twice in one direction then shift back once to get to that gear. I recently got a new wheelset, cassette, and chain and I still have the same problem. Is it the wider spacing in the 12-27 cassette that is causing the problem. BTW everything is Shimano...the chain is Ultegra.
All the other gears shift fine no matter which way it is adjusted? - TF

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
lemmy999 said:
I guess it could be the cable/housing. It is the original cable and has about 3000 miles with a few wet rides.

You can test this by loosening the cable and push/pull enough cable back through the shifter to effectively lubricate the cable and housing, don't pull the cable end into the housing. If this fixes the problem it's probably a temporary cure and you'll soon need to replace the cables and housings.
You can also try hosing out the inside of the shifter(s) with WD40 to flush out the dirt and crud. The wet rides may be the cause of the problem. STI shifters and cables are more sensitive to dirt, corrosion, and crud than downtube shifters.

Al

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TurboTurtle said:
All the other gears shift fine no matter which way it is adjusted? - TF
Yeah, for the most part the other gears are ok. It shifts fine on the workstand, the problem is always while riding. So I can't be 100% sure it is always just cog #4, but the problem is always in the middle. The adjustments I am making are only 2-3 turns on the rear der. adjustment knob. So not enough to mess up the other gears

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wzq622 said:
is the rear derailleur cage long enough to use on a 12-27 cassette?
I think so, but I will have to double check to make sure. I bought it new with the 12-27 from bike shop, but of course that doesn't mean it is right.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My vote is for the cable's and housing. I was having the same issue where I would have to shift up twice and then back down. Changed the cables/housings and all was well.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have some of those 34 ounce Magura Magnum bottles and they tend to leak, but I think that would only get on the FD cable.

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Bottles drip down and sticky stuff collects on the bottom of the BB shell.
Cruds up cables in the bracket and mess up shifting performance for both cables.
Worth checkin it takes less than a second. I would do that and check the hanger esp when it shifts fine in some gears and does not shift fine in others.
If you are having problems in the same gears all the time then the derailleur hanger is the first thing to check. The more it is bent the weirder the shifting can get.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked and cleaned everything really good and there seemed to be no serious gunk or sticky sports drink anywhere. I also used the Park tool for checking der. hanger alignment (my Klein frame doesn't have a replaceable hanger, so I am not sure it would be wise to try to straighten it anyway) and it indicated that it was pretty close. I still moved the cable housing around on the cable and there does seem to be a little bit of drag. But it seems to come from the ends of the cable housing (which are rubber) that are kind of tight to keep stuff out. I went on a 70 mi ride and it imrpoved slightly, but I still have the problem some The odd thing is that it will shift fine several times, then all of a sudden it will not want to shift. It will usually shift if I just leave it alone, but it just makes lots of noise, then finally shifts.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I had a similar problem on my Cannondale Tourer. It just refused to be dialed in no matter what I did. I tried the cable tensioner, the in and out screws of the rear derailor, the screw that determines the distance from the top jockey wheel and the cassette. I even bought a new cassette. Nothing worked. If I adjusted the tension so it would shift well on the 5th cog, the shifting would get out of whack on the 8th or 9th cog. If I adjusted the tension so that it will shift well in the 8, 9th cogs, the chain would start skipping around the 4, 5th cogs. After a while I was even considering buying new shifters. To make a long story short, what worked for me was to add a 2mm washer between the dropout and the cassette. Problem solved.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the bull said:
If it is making noise then shifting then the barrel for adjustment needs to be turned out to tighten cable tension.
I guess you haven't read the entire thread. :) The problem I am having is that it periodically has problems shifting from both directions. If I adjust the barrel in either direction then it screws all of the other shifts up. If I get it set right, the problem is mainly between cog #3 and #4 and everywhere else is perfect. Sometimes 3 to 4 causes a problem and sometimes 4 to 3 causes a problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What is the best way to flush the STI shifters? I can see the greased barrel where the cable threads through but I'm not sure where to clean beyond there.

I have heard that the inards of the Shimano shifters is a nightmare so I don't want to completely dismantle them. But would removing the shifter and soaking the entire body in a cleaner, say Simple Green, to remove the crud work?

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
Aerosol

vibiker said:
What is the best way to flush the STI shifters?
Use something like an aerosol WD-40 or aerosol TriFlow. Use the little tube that comes with it and stick the tube into the shifter where ever you can and give it some shots while shifting through the gears. Gunk will be dripping out all over, so be prepared for that. After you've given it a good flush, chase it with some lube - TriFlow works well for that as does ProLink or home brew chain lube.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts