Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade the crappy stock brakes that came on my C'dale with some ultegra calipers. I found a good deal on 6500. My questions are what is the difference between 6500 vs 6600 (other than what I know--see next sentence) AND will they be compatible if I were to upgrade my current 9sp 105 drive train to a 10sp (ultegra or durace) drivetrain? I know that the 6600 is the more recent edition that comes with the 10sp gruppo and that the 6500 came with the 9sp grouppo. Also, I've read that the 6500 caliper can't be "toed in". Thanks!

Marc

·
Registered
37 Posts
any and all

Both the 6500 and 6600 calipers are compatible with all of the shifters you mentioned. mix/match is fine with these.
There really is little difference between the two models, just updated finish and graphics to match the DuraAce changes.
I've got way too many of the 6500's left, yours for $75.
email at [email protected] if you want a set.
Tom

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
marc180 said:
I'm looking to upgrade the crappy stock brakes that came on my C'dale with some ultegra calipers. I found a good deal on 6500. My questions are what is the difference between 6500 vs 6600 (other than what I know--see next sentence) AND will they be compatible if I were to upgrade my current 9sp 105 drive train to a 10sp (ultegra or durace) drivetrain? I know that the 6600 is the more recent edition that comes with the 10sp gruppo and that the 6500 came with the 9sp grouppo. Also, I've read that the 6500 caliper can't be "toed in". Thanks!

Marc
The 6500 can't be toed in, just as you say. You can find some cheap brake pad holders that will fix that issue, but then the price difference to the 6600 will be quite small. Toe-in does really make a difference in both modulation and noise (squeek) reduction and is well worth a few bucks extra. 105 calipers will do just the same and the new ones are toe-in adjustable, so you have a choice between three options. They all function pretty well, so price and bling will probably be the deciding factors. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Your pick...

marc180 said:

Marc
Personally, I do not like the new Ultegra brakes. I prefer the looks of the 6500 models. However, nearly any brake will do a good job of stopping you. I have been using Tektro brakes for the last few years and I'm no lightweight. The question really is, "how much do you want to spend?" Remember that brakes do not make you a faster. If they stop you well and can be modulated effectively, they are good enough. The rest is just cake. If you really want to improve the brakes you have, bhe sure to try KoolStop brake pads before doing anything else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts